DDR2 or SDRAM ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by stefan_waelti, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Hi--For the same quantity, what's the better quality to choose ?

What's better, 2048 Go of DDR2, or 2x1024 Go of SDRAM ?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

DDR2 are more efficient than older one SDRAM memory cards.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The quality is from the brand
    The choice for different types of memory usually isn't there, you get the type that your system supports.....and select a model that is compatible with your system.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

This is a very strange question. Are you just asking for a theoretical comparison between DDR2 and SDRAM? Because in real world this question is not applicable, as DDR2 and SDRAM are not compatible with each other. So, a motherboard that accepts DDR2 will not accept SDRAM and the one that accepts SDRAM will not accept DDR2.

If you are asking which is better on paper then I will have to say DDR2. The max clock rate for SDRAM is 133 MHz while DDR2 starts from 200 MHz upwards and uses dual channels/double data transfer rate.

So, what you are asking is not practical.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Are you meaning which is better, a single 2GB stick of RAM versus 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM? I guess that would depend on what your system supports. If you went with 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM you would want them as a dual channel kit which your system needs to support.

Here is a nice little learning center for desktop memory. http://www.newegg.com/product/CategoryIntelligence.aspx?Subcategory=147

Please make sure whatever memory you consider is compatible with the machine. Here are a few sites that help identify compatible memory.

http://www.crucial.com/
    http://www.corsair.com/
    http://www.kingston.com/

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

SDRAM
    SDRAM DDR
    SDRAM DDR1
    SDRAM DDR2
    SDRAM DDR4

Speed of the RAM, Speed of the CPU, Speed of HDD, Speed of MOBO, Speed of Video all these can factor in on speed.

What OS are you running. XP can't do more than 2-3GB Vista has a block on 4GB usage under 32-bit version There is a free tool to unblock that feature.

1GB or 2GB is good for general purpose
    1GB should leave you free 700MB
    2GB should leave you free 1.5MB

The OS
    The application
    The Need

Make sure your MOBO can handle the right type of SDRAM though? If you had a system board that can handle PC3200 (400MHz) but you had 266MHz than that will still work.

7. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Thanks for all your answers guys.

See screenshot below to understand why I'm asking.

Attached Files:

8. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

I think that both are type of DDR2 memory.
    These days DDR 1 (if we can call it that way) is not build in the PC and if i'm not mistaken i doubt that is produced anymore. It can be found DDR 1 on the market but it's too expensive.

From the search i have seen that both memories are DDR2.

Here are some links (Links are translated with google translate).
    From i can see these devices are found only in Eastern Europe.

Link 1

Link -2

End Point for your question : Both are the same. No one is better.
    All depends if one netbook have something more then another and it's more expensive.
    You get 2GB (2048 MB) of DDR2 Ram memory in both cases.

Until you can provide link to the netbook's to see them, people here can't tell you anything more.

9. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Those are the Netbooks.. They use XP and have limited RAM and HDD. Is that what you want? If you buy one of those you need 1GB of RAM. Some configurations is tricky as they have dual 512MB and 1 stick 1GB of RAM. Which is better the dual but pretty much the same. If you wan to upgrade those you would be better off with the 1GB stick then add another 1GB later on. Otherwise you would have to buy two 1GB sticks will cost you more than one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.