DD on Vista won't split my drive. No errors.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Kavnar, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavnar

Kavnar Registered Member

I, too had this problem with the Vista build. I bought this software yesterday because I wanted to break my large 500GB partition so that the system was easier to backup. I still haven't been successful.

I try to create a new partition and set the size. It says ok..reboots does some work, reboots again. I go in and see that the C: still exists and is still the same size. I did this several times and it never worked. No messages in the log file. There were always 3 messages in the log denoting the begin or end of a particular phase of the re-partitioning.

I then went and had Vista resize the partition. The size it gave me was far less and it took hours. I said..ok now that Vista has started it maybe DD can finish sizing this out. I moved some files from my C: to my new X: and tried to add space to X. It started working and then rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted...everytime it would finish it's work and head towards Vista, Vista would bluescreen. I got my Vista disk and did a repair that let me in.

Looks like I will have to defrag and try to grow the partition using Vista's tools again.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The Only Foolproof way to resize a partition is during Installation, Windows generally wont alow you to resize through Windows itself.

3. MatthewE

MatthewE Registered Member

I have found the same problem. Did you try booting from an Acronis Bootable Disk? Use the safe mode if the full version doesn't work.

I had used DD to make the largest partition possible, rebooted, nothing happened. Then, I tried to use Vista and I could not resize at all... 0 MB was all that showed up in the dialog box. My guess is that DD does something but can't finish it. Why... don't know, could be the virus scanner. I think I expanded the old partition using DD from the bootable disk and this gave Vista it's ability to shrink again.

It might be a good idea to defrag before any partitioning.

4. rapanuy

rapanuy Registered Member

Use the safe mode if the full version doesn't work.

Hi.
    What do you mean: the Vista Safe Mode or is there an Acronis Safe Mode also?

Thx,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.