DD on Vista won't split my drive. No errors.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Kavnar, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavnar

Kavnar Registered Member

Apr 7, 2007
    I, too had this problem with the Vista build. I bought this software yesterday because I wanted to break my large 500GB partition so that the system was easier to backup. I still haven't been successful.

I try to create a new partition and set the size. It says ok..reboots does some work, reboots again. I go in and see that the C: still exists and is still the same size. I did this several times and it never worked. No messages in the log file. There were always 3 messages in the log denoting the begin or end of a particular phase of the re-partitioning.

I then went and had Vista resize the partition. The size it gave me was far less and it took hours. I said..ok now that Vista has started it maybe DD can finish sizing this out. I moved some files from my C: to my new X: and tried to add space to X. It started working and then rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted...everytime it would finish it's work and head towards Vista, Vista would bluescreen. I got my Vista disk and did a repair that let me in.

Looks like I will have to defrag and try to grow the partition using Vista's tools again.
  2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Aug 2, 2006
    The Antipodes
    The Only Foolproof way to resize a partition is during Installation, Windows generally wont alow you to resize through Windows itself.
  3. MatthewE

MatthewE Registered Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I have found the same problem. Did you try booting from an Acronis Bootable Disk? Use the safe mode if the full version doesn't work.

I had used DD to make the largest partition possible, rebooted, nothing happened. Then, I tried to use Vista and I could not resize at all... 0 MB was all that showed up in the dialog box. My guess is that DD does something but can't finish it. Why... don't know, could be the virus scanner. I think I expanded the old partition using DD from the bootable disk and this gave Vista it's ability to shrink again.

It might be a good idea to defrag before any partitioning.
  4. rapanuy

rapanuy Registered Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Use the safe mode if the full version doesn't work.

What do you mean: the Vista Safe Mode or is there an Acronis Safe Mode also?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.