DD 10.0 Cant split partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jbailey, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbailey

jbailey Registered Member

Well first off, I can't register the retail product I just purchased at Compusa on Acronis web site. Doesn't like the serial number. That means I can't send tech support an email with my question. I'm off to a bad start with this. I hope you folks can help maybe.

A new Dell I just received. DD finds 3 partitions, all yellow (primary). 1 FAT 16 55MB, the NTFS 146 GB (C: drive), and a FAT 32 3GB. I have no idea what the two oddball partitions are. Dell ships this way.

I ask DD to split the C:, thinking I could then seperate my programs and data up a bit. It went through a couple reboots doing something before the OS started, then at the end, nothing happened. C: is still 146 GB.

Am I doing something stupid ? I guess ideally, it might be nice to make the additional partition into one that I could make into multiple partition (logical ?) but at this point I'd just be happy to split it in two.

Can anyone help ? At this point, I'm afraid my planned purchase of True Image tomorrow may be in jeopardy.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First, you can still send Acronis Support an email, and get a ticket number - just quote your licence #.

Second, I think your problem is the two (not sure why you have two) Dell special partitions. One the 3Gb one probably has the OEM XP installation on it, and maybe the other has Dell utilities.

I don't think DD will work properly whilst the FAT16 partition is still there.

Just to check before we go to far down the track, you did press the 'commit flag' button? Otherwise DD looks as though it is doing stuff, but in reality it's leading you up the garden path - a commit should change things.

Colin

3. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Try resizing the partition you want to split down to the size you want, choose to put the space where you want either before or after. Now create a partition in the empty space. It does the same thing as splitting, just you have to do the steps manually.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The other thing I forgot to mention is make sure you try this manually - switch off the auto function - it seems to have 'issues'

Colin

5. jbailey

jbailey Registered Member

Thanks for the help, all. The solution (as suggested) was to resize the C: rather than using Split.

Now I need to deal with these extra partitions in imginf too - see my post over on True Image 10.

Thanks again.

jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.