dcsmutex.dll

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Kuno, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuno

Kuno Registered Member

This is twice now I have rebooted my machine and gotten a message that said this file was missing and had been replaced, when tds-3 starts a bootup. Any idea whats up with that?

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Kuno,

Has this happened before?

Any other security program on your machine that might "block" dcsmutex.dll in some way?

Which Windows version are you using?

Are your "required system files" at least as they should be?
    See http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

What if you let TDS-3 start up using Windows-start-up?
    It seems to be adviced to do that when using XP, but I don't have XP so I cannot tell you much about it; sorry !

3. Kuno

Kuno Registered Member

This is the second time it has happened. I am trying to clean up my computer in general then do a reinstall again.

I am not using any new security programs right now. All the ones that are on there have played nice with tds3 before. Nod32 updates very often but I doubt any of their new updates would block a tds file.

I use XP SP2 and tds starts with windows.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

HMMM if memory serves me well this file is occasionally replaced with a new TDS download. So i wonder if re-downloading the latest radius would be helpful in this case?
    At the moment for instance i see this same file on my system with today's creation date just after my update, could be related.
    I'm almost sure FanJ added it to his CRC32scans.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Jooske :D

LOL yes I have dcsmutex.dll included in my crcfiles.txt to let the CRC32-test of TDS-3 tell me whether it was changed :D
    A manual check with the CRC32-test after updating the Radius-file tells me it ;)

Yep, it was updated today, and it is very frequently updated :)

Hmm, I have to admit that at the moment I have no idea why Kuno got those alerts when TDS-3 starts at bootup.
    Maybe this is something for Wayne/Gavin to look at it ?

Kuno,
    Which other security programs are you running?
    Maybe this might tell what could cause this.
    And which language version of Windows are you using?

Regards, Jan.

6. Kuno

Kuno Registered Member

Plain old English version of Windows.

I run Nod32. Sygate, Spywareguard, Regprotect, Microsoft Antispy, TDS and Process Guard...as far as boot programs go. Other than that I got Wormguard, Spywareblaster and a few others that are passive.

It never did this before with updates but it has now happened a third time. Pops up a TDS alert stating that the dcsmutex.dll file was missing and had been replaced by TDS. I was also messing around with adware's realtime process this time and saw a slew of regestry changes, most which seemed to be dealing with file associations and security settings that were changes I made, such as "show last user name" being off and others.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Kuno,

Could it be that you don't have the right settings in ProcessGuard for TDS-3 ?
    I am not saying that that is the cause of your problem, but it might be.
    Alas, I don't know much about ProcessGuard (cannot run it on my W98SE machine), so I have to leave that issue to others.

BTW:
    I saw you had also problems with spywareguard.dll :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=79451
    Maybe that is also related to the settings in ProcessGuard; I don't know :oops:

Regards, Jan.

8. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Kuno

Do you have "Block new and changed applications" enabled in Process Guard ?
    The dcsmutex executable will change occasionally with new updates.

From the PG help file
    "Any application which you haven't allowed to always start will be blocked from running without a user confirmation when this option is enabled".

More info on dcsmutex.exe and Process Guard:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/pgdb/index.php?whatis=dcsmutex.exe

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kuno,
    Make sure that dcsmutex,exe is on your protection list with the default allows.
    dcsmutex gets updated fairly regularly so you will get an alert from the security list each time that the .exe changes. Make sure that block always has not been flagged in the security list. :)

HTH Pilli

10. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Pilli,

I actually get a PG alert/query almost each morning when I update TDS. I just checked and dcmutex.exe is in my protected list and in security shows up as permit always o_O While I can just allow manually to continue , it is a bit annoying - also, I don't remember this issue the first few days of using PG.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well I am afraid you cannot do anything about that as dcsmutex.exe changes on a regular basis and PG is doing it's job :) It does not usually change with each daily update but probably one or twice a week.
    Maybe when PG gets updated next there could be some kind of exclusion list but it sort of defeats the object. I actually quite like the occasional alert which proves to me that PG is actually working properly.

Pilli

12. Kuno

Kuno Registered Member

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Small crisis with work servers had me busy. I think I figured it out and it is always the small things ain't it?

No disk space. =)

Radius not being able to load seemed to be messing the whole thing up. Cleared disk space and it works fine now. The error eventually went on to becoming a radius error and asking me to load from backup, that would always fail and it lead me to go look at my filesharing folders. Seemed they got a little to fat and took my hd space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.