DB updates broken: Repeatedly updating to the same version..

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by a13a, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a13a

a13a Registered Member

Here's the environment:

build 672 on three RA servers, each with ~20 clients. Most of these clients are v2.7, but a couple are v3.

On the RA server themselves, one has v3, the other two have 2.7 clients installed.

The problem is that none of the v2.7 clients will update from v3, either from the RA HTTP or from the v3 client mirror. However what's most confusing is that rather than give any sort of error, it reports that the client has been successfully updated, but to the same sig version that was already present - see attached screenshot. I've ticked the 'create v2 update mirror' in the RA too.

I can go back to a pure v2.7 -> 2.7 chain and everything works perfectly.

I've tried deleting caches & updfiles contents & mirrors & restarting the RA service in all sorts of combinations and orders but so far no luck. Any further ideas, or a precise walkthrough of what needs to be done (on the RA server, as the clients are clearly perfectly functional...)?

Attached Files:

• upd.JPG
      upd.JPG
      File size:
      134.8 KB
      Views:
  2. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

There are at least a couple of older threads on this issue from when V3 was first released. From memory, what you've found is a fact. You need two RA Servers, one to support the V3.0 mirror and one for the V2.7 mirror.

My workaround at the time with only one server was to use RA for the V3.0 mirror but to use an actual installation of V2.7 for the V2.7 mirror. Both of these were on the same Server.

Eventually, I updated all clients to V3.0 and removed the V2.7 mirror but that server still runs V2.7 because it requires XMON.

Unless they've changed ERA in the last year, it will not support both versions simultaneously. This is from memory. I could be wrong.

3. a13a

a13a Registered Member

Hmmm.. I know at least it was working for some time, I had v3 mirror without an RA that worked swimmingly for a number of 2.7 clients.. now that you mention it though they do seem not to have updated in a while.. since the 21/07 to be precise.

The v3 RA now has a "provide v2 updates" option as well so all I needed to do was add /nod32v2 to the update path, so no extra server or mirror needed, just need to remember the extra path for v2. Close enough I guess..

4. Churchgirl

Churchgirl Registered Member

Um am not that computer saaavy ya'll. I just know I am currently having issues with NOD32 v3 not updating. Recently paid for an upgrade in September 08 for another two years. Whatzz up?

5. mickhardy

This thread is about the ESET Remote Administrator module which provides updates for Nod32 on a managed Network. You may wish to try one of the many other threads about stand alone updating issues.

I stand corrected. ESET have added the ability to create V2 mirrors in V2.0.107 of ERA. Note that V110 mentions the V2 Mirror was fixed. Our Servers are still running V107.

July 21, 2008 - Version 2.0.110
    minor bugfixes
    updater for nod32 v2 fixed

May 21, 2008 - Version 2.0.107
    Updates:
    added capability of a mirror for NOD32 v2 clients

6. a13a

a13a Registered Member

That's interesting, because the v3 client (not RA) was updating 2.7 right up until precisely that date... it's almost like they disabled the client on purpose to coincide with the fixed RA... hmm.

7. mickhardy

I think the date is important. This long update thread was started on July 27th. When following the thread at the time, I seem to remember them talking about major changes to the way V2.7 does updates. There was mention of stopping pirated versions amongst other things. The change broke the ESET servers so it's not suprising ERA servers broke too.

I think the end result was having to clean out the update folders on each and every client. Not so bad for 20 clients but it wasn't an easy option for some admins.

8. a13a

a13a Registered Member

Ahh true... fair enough. Guess I should pay more attention to my clients, heheh..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.