Day Zero Protection & Disaster Recovery Solutions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EASTER, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Taking a page from the marathon topic "What is your security setup these days"? I hope to use this time for members to express your comparisons from what you used to rely on compared to what you've settled on now, and if you feel it's complete enough.

Do you regularly test both your Zero-Day protections AND Recovery Solutions and found them perfect enough to your liking?

Or is there anything of personal concern that you regard as still missing in any of them which you would like to see addressed in future versions of them and just what your own expectations are of those. In other words, limitations or gaps in their coverages that you feel is been overlooked or left out that you have to fill with other apps to make up those differences.

What are your reasons for changing to the protections and recovery apps you now use?

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I used to rely on the usual (on this forum at least) AV, FW and HIPS with a imaging software. And FDISR.
    Today I have Vista and XP on a Limited account with Software Restriction Policy (sort of anti executable) SRP is probably a bit overkill but gives me that fuzzy feeling of security, and a simple but effective firewall.
    Of course I still use imaging and snapshot software for unexpected happenings, wich is mostly my own fault, I am the only malware on my computer :)

Reason for changing to the minimal approach was actually when I tried Linux. I realised how silly it is to run as admin and then having to "repair" the security with third party solutions when there is no need to. Of course I, like everybody else, heard of how difficult it was to run LUA so I never bothered to try it before and thought that HIPS was the only way to go.
    I did enjoy the HIPS that I used coz I learned alot about how Windows works, that knowledge led me to use LUA instead.
    I do run some on demand scanners when the inspiration hits me to see if I have downloaded any bad stuff wasting space on my hard drives.

3. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Same here.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Started from a lot of scanners esp AS. Used to install trials and play with them. Even tried two AVs at a time( but not more than few hours).

Then HIPS( used even two at a time), Behav blockers, Sandboxes etc. I literally tried anything I found. But not for security, it,s just a fun and hobby.

ATM using only on-demand AV with my signature. Ofcourse there is image backup.

5. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I run NOD32 2.7 for AV on Vista Ultimate only because it's light and works.

I run data back ups once a week using software called Genie Backup Manager.

I run ShadowProtect 3.1 once a month to do a complete full image of my C drive to an external. I keep all my music, pictures and downloads on a separate drive so my images don't get too big.

I am wary of running snapshot software or hips because they sit on top of my o/s and I don't like the idea of that beyond NOD.

I'd rather image on demand and run a clean o/s without running software hooking into system and kernel areas.

If anything goes wrong I restore my full image and then copy back any data from the data backup I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.