Data Recovery from Corrupted Acronis Image File???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gutharius, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gutharius

gutharius Registered Member

Is there a way to take partially completed Acronis backup and write it to a hard drive so you can then use a file recovery tool to scan the data for files?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

From what I've been reading, only True Image can look into the backup files it creates.

3. gutharius

So there is no way to force it to write/mount the archive so you can explore the contents?

4. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Not on an image archive thats been classified as corrupt.

There have been a fair number of requests for the ability to recover at least the files that aren't affected by the corruption, however we're yet to see it.

5. gutharius

I wonder if there would be a way to modify the file to make acronis think it was a complete archive so you could get it to spit out the contents until it got a read error from the file actually being incomplete. Hopefully there is no internal checksum done... I would think there is but hope beyond all hope right?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Is the source drive from which the partial image was made still available ? If so I would suggest that would be a good place to start.
    If it is not bootable it could none the less be put in a USB drive enclosure or as a secondary hard drive and could be explored and copied from there.
    Another approach would be to boot the affected computer from the rescue CD and make a fresh image to other media which could then be mounted and explored.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gutharius,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Incomplete backup archives cannot be open in any way. To avoid such situations in future we could recommend you storing several full backups at a time, or at least deleting previous full backup after creation of the new one. You can learn more from the respective chapters of the User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.