Data recovery from broken/wiped HDD/SDD

Discussion in 'hardware' started by dogbite, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Reading that thread, one take-home is that overwriting isn't the best way to wipe SSDs. The best way is using FDE, and then forgetting the passphrase.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I really wanted to destroy data that's on a disk, I would probably just destroy that drive.
    If I wanted to retain a drive I would encrypt the drive (using longest possible passphrase that I would not remember) and then overwrite it with zeros.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

An update, empahsis mine:

5. NGRhodes

Data is only recoverable if the data was never truly deleted in the first place and this applies to any binary logic based storage device.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, that's true.

The problem is in the knowing :eek:

Say that I have an SSD that's full-disk encrypted (dm-crypt/LUKS).

What could I do to trigger leaving plaintext visible after encrypting and unmounting? Would hard rebooting do it? But it might also kill the SSD, or so I've read.

I could use tools discussed on https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/encryption-problems.134/ to search the disk for plaintext, right?

But what about areas that have been swapped out in the process of wear leveling? Are there tools for reading those storage areas?

7. NGRhodes

That is the risk of storing unencrypted data on ANY drive (the issue bigger with SSD than HDD though). The best you can do use encryption from new.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.