Data Partition Protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Keyloggers aren't really a problem. The complicated and constant changing login procedure of my on-line banking makes any keylogger useless.
    I tried TrueCrypt in the past, it worked but I'm looking for something easier.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

As of now we're reasonable covered by Hips,Antikeylogging app.but be aware we're just waiting for their next trick.

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes, Huupi, I am happy that my setup is about as safe as it can get and nothing I've seen here changes that view, but should, in the future Returnil extend it's cover to other drives and allow for a commit function, I will likely be happy to make use of it. ;)

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I admit to much functions in it and some learning curve, but afterall wondering what you're after to protect what.A little utility maybe better suits your needs..... http://www.encryptfiles.net/

5. ErikAlbert

IMO it's not necessary to encrypt data to protect it.
    My off-line snapshot and on-line snapshot have both access to my data partition[D:]

1. If I'm in my off-line snapshot, my data partition[D:] doesn't need protection, because there is no internet.

2. If I'm in my on-line snapshot, my data partition[D:] can be LOCKED, which means no access anymore for malware, hackers and me. And I still can store downloaded files in my system partition[C:] and move them later to my unlocked data partition[D:].

I'm not saying I'm going to do this, but it's a possibility.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Erik,

you started a pretty nice topic here. :thumb:

Personally I do not like encrypting software (if something goes wrong you can say goodbye to all your data :doubt: ).

For me the easiest way is to remove the drive letter of the drive d:. If a virus does not know that another drive exists it cannot harm the data in it. ;)

7. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Erik Albert

According to your original post you are looking for ways to prevent malware from accessing/ altering your data partition
    Encryption should stop malware but will also add another step to accessing your data (decrypt, use data/update data, re-encrypt)
    'Freezing' the partition will work: e.g. a shadowing program that covers more than your system partition - e.g. Shadow Defender .SD also allows you to 'commit' changes if you want to retain them.
    i know you tried SD in the past for your system partition & wasn't keen but the latest version is working well for me & would seem to meet your needs...
    Another way of securing your data would be to use a program that prevents modification to specific partition/folders/ files such as Drive Sentry.
    I've toyed with this prog. on & off for a while and whilst I am not bowled over by it it does its job pretty well and acts as a sort of 'AntiExecutable' for folders/ files using a whitelist principle that allows only the programs you select to have read/write access to those folders/ partitions.

8. ErikAlbert

I stopped with combining other ISR-softwares and FDISR. You have to turn them OFF, when you want to boot in another snapshot, which I don't like to do, because I'm not supposed to do this.
    If I don't turn them OFF, FDISR doesn't boot from one snapshot to another snapshot normally. I tried all combinations and 50% didn't function normally.
    It's nothing serious, but it's inconvenient and not natural.

If Leapfrog changes FDISR and make it possible to freeze all snapshots instead of one, my problem would be solved.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, you could solve your problem very simply if you would just take another look at Sandboxie. It will do what you want, is simple, no overhead, and no reboot.

10. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Shadow Defender can just shadow only the data partition, meaning it will not interfere with FD-ISR.
    My set up is similar to yours (C- system, D- data &- I frequently use SD to protect the data partition when I'm online or playing around with firefox extensions etc. , by shadowing only this partition & not the system partition.

If you are still not keen on SD - Peter's right SandboxIE does work well & reliably.
    I used regularly before switching to SD and never had a problem with this set up & it isolates your browser or whatever you choose to run entirely from your data.

11. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

FaJo XP File Security Extention controls access rights to files, folders, etc., giving XP Home this feature of XP Pro. When used in conjunction with a limited user account, the settings cannot be changed, except through logging in as admin.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

ClosedFilePath=%Personal% Does this just cover My Documents or would it extend to D:? If not, what would you have to add to Sandboxies configuration to protect D:?

innerpeace

13. ErikAlbert

Very userfriendly coding. :rolleyes:
    I can do the same in DefenseWall, if I add "D:" or any other D-folder in Secured Files/Folders. :)

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I use this program now to LOCK my data partition. It also password locks the entire system at once/scheduled or hides anything you choose.
    http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/

I needed something like this after a Legit security program jumped the fence against my intentions and proceeded to royally screw up my FD-ISR archives and other data.

Now whenever i test a security program when i'm hooked up to dual drives i LOCK that other partition or even hide it temporarily for safety. I guess i could also have used PARAGON to use flags to hide it, but this happened to catch my attention one day while looking around for some PC overall security apps. It was pricey, but at least everything works as advertised and best of all no stupid conflicts or issues like i run into with some programs.

15. ErikAlbert

Thanks EASTER. I will try it to see how it works in practice. :)

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

As has been mentioned above, i use drivesentry to protect my data. Nothing can write to my data partition unless i allow it. It works great and its free!

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If you decide to try it please offer your own feedback. Pros vs Cons.

There are tons of other super features that i haven't even looked at yet let alone tried, since i only need it to keep silly legit programs from jumping drives on me and messing up that partition again. I do LOCK my entire system with it on occasion and so far on XP Pro it's not even given me a hint of any issues or conflicts. This is also with SandboxIE, EQsecure, FD-ISR etc.

18. ErikAlbert

Easter,
    Don't expect too much from me. I'm an average user without technical knowledge.
    So far, PC Security seems to do what I want for my data partition[D:] in a VERY EASY WAY.

Do you know what that means man ?
    I can surf on the net without hurting my personal files, because there is no access at all to my second harddisk, which contains all my personal files.
    No reading, no writing, no stealing, no encryption needed, ... the ultimate weapon against all hackers and all malwares.

Easy ON, easy OFF inside my on-line snapshot, I don't need more than that.
    If I boot in my off-line snapshot, I have my data partition back without doing anything.

It's also the most convenient software, I've seen until now to lock/unlock my data partition. I keep on using it until the 30-trial is finished.
    If there are any issues, I will post them, that's all I can promise.
    Thanks alot for the tip. :D :cool:

19. Peter2150

Haven't tried it but I assume

ClosedFilePath= d:\

The quoted setting just covers My Documents.

20. Peter2150

Tzuk is improving the program constantly. No longer have to manually edit the config file. It does it for you from the GUI

If you can do it in Defense Wall, then why not just do it, and be done with it.

21. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hello Erick Albert,
    I'm gunna teach you the grand daddy of these tricks ok?
    Ok. You gotta do a few things,
    1. Encrypt that data...look into Stegano's suite or some other freeware.
    2. Put that Data into a separate partition, buried 10 layers deep. That means that you put it under about 10 folders down, mixed in with a bunch of folders, so only you know where it is. Got it? good.
    3. Now Erick Albert, now, you use more software to Hide the contents of that whole partition. Look into Folder Lock, LockFolderXP...etc...
    4. Ok...after that...Erick Albert... you need to go get an AV program or some other on-access protection program that allows you to prevent access/read/write/ to that particular partition. Look into McAfee's VSE 8.5i, It does a pretty good job of access protection-above and beyond the others.

So there you go ErikAlbert, your precious data is now protected in the computer.

22. ErikAlbert

I have already a solution, explained in post #43, based on a suggestion of Easter.
    I lock my data partition[D:] with two mouse-clicks = no reading, no writing, no stealing, no encryption, no hacking, no change at all, while I'm surfing.
    If I have to download something, I store it in my frozen on-line partition and move it later to my unlocked data partition.
    If I boot in my off-line snapshot, my data partition doesn't need that kind of protection, because there is no internet.
    This is grand daddy's solution. :)

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

and if the something you download is contaminated in some way how does this help ?

24. ErikAlbert

Like most users do, verify the downloaded file with VirusTotal, which is of course no guarantee that the file is malwarefree.
    That's why I don't download from unknown sources, like many users do.
    If I want to play dangerously, I use my frozen snapshot and what happens there doesn't matter, because there is no data.

PS: keep in mind that the problem you mentioned is a problem for EVERY USER, no matter how tight his security/recovery is.
    What is common for all users isn't worth to talk about.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  25. Peter2150

Erik

You are overlooking the most basic thing. The best software for protecting your data, is between your ears. Good old common sense.

I've been running in the configuration I am using, with all my valuable data hanging out in my c: partition. I use Sandboxie, which protects my data while online surfing, returnil on top of it as appropriate, and OA and Prosec. Top that off with common sense, and I've had no problems. I think if you get to to complex the biggest risk to your data will be.....YOU.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.