"Data Execution Prevention" Error when trying to play avi files

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by whatever_, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatever_

whatever_ Registered Member

I've seen a topic like this in these forums but most of the responses were trying to fix errors with windows media player. Yeah, windows media player closes when i try to run them but i get the data execution prevention error if i even select the avi file in the folder. and i get the same problem when trying to run it on other programs. i tried reinstalling k-lite and divx but nothing changed. any ideas from anyone?

p.s. i didn't make my name whatever because i don't care, that's my usual alias :)

p.p.s. you're all really cool for helping people out like this

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome to the forum's whatever,

Though several month's old there's what appear's to be good advice, commentary, and a somewhat interesting utility in the body of this thread that may clue you in where to turn while waiting for further suggestion's. I myself have no direct experience with the product in question.

http://forums.divx.com/forum/viewTopic.php?id=2432

For future responder's perhap's state which build of divx your using along with OS and any additional codec's.
    PS - "I didn't make my name whatever because ...." - Good to hear. ;)

Steve

3. whatever_

whatever_ Registered Member

yeah i'm not running on vista, but i tried uninstalling divx which the posters in that thread said worked, and it didn't do anything. :ouch: these smileys are fun.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

If your serious .. installed divx build, version codec please. *I would say *temporarily* pull dep system wide to determine if that's what's causing the error, then I'd try (from a trusted source) making an exception for explorer.exe. This way you can start narrowing the field with a little 'self-investigation' until forwarding the above underlined.

While your messing around, replace thumbnail's view with list for the folder housing those avi file's.
    Maybe even try switching over to classic view from your start menu's properties.

*Given as an example, here's what bfx from the divx community had to say about 'using' gspot ....

S

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.