Data Backup stalls under Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Radioactive Man, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radioactive Man

Radioactive Man Registered Member

I use True Image 11 (newest build) on Windows Vista (all available updates installed) on a Thinkpad X61t (Core2 duo, 2 GB RAM) and want to backup my data folders to a USB harddisk. Somewhere in the middle of the process it stalls forever, without any more progress, CPU utilization drops to zero and I cannot cancel the backup other than ending the tasks manually in task manager. I have tried it several times including trials with no other programs running (not even anti-virus, etc.). The result is always the same, I have never managed to complete a backup. What can be done about the situation?

2. rugmankc

rugmankc Registered Member

This has been addressed in another post (Backup stalls) extensively. It is a bug. Fixed soon I hope. I can back up apps and email but not my system state. Try backing up with no compression if you have enough memory. Worked for me.

Ken

3. Radioactive Man

Thanks. This seems to work. Unfortunately, there is a new problem (see new thread).
    PS: I saw there were several threads on Vista related problems but they did not seem to deal with exactly my situation and in the time I spent looking at them I found none that suggested to turn off the compression.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's due to bad code in ATI 11. Turning off compression might work as a workaround or you can switch to Full backups or ask for a refund.

5. Radioactive Man

I did ask for a refund after the second severe problem occurred (wrong folders backed up), but the Acronis Upgrade center declined it, unless I first discuss this issue with technical support. I then opened a support ticket but did not hear anything since then. I did not want to call the phone support as they charge a steep fee and I did not want to throw good money after bad money. And I start wondering whether I should throw good time after bad time, as I have lost trust in it, even if the problem that came up in the first eight hours of using it got solved. Who knows what happens if I need to restore the backup?

6. shieber

You don't have to talk to support to be able to get a refund if you asked for refund within 30 days of purchase. THis problem is clearly a bug inthe prog and they haven't come up with a general fix yet (i.e., a build that doesn't have the bug) so a refudn is clearly in order -- a product must be able to perform the fundamental purpose for which it was vended -- that warranty cannot be waived by the manufacturer.

7. Radioactive Man

I agree, and if this was a more expensive good I would probably put more effort behind getting my right. But I called them, told them about the problems I had and that I wanted the purchase price refunded. They said this was not possible since I opened the product. I said I did not technically open it, as it was a download. To which they replied that a download was open per se. But out of good will they would give me a refund, if I wrote a support ticket and they could not solve the problem. I did write a support ticket, but really all I expect them to do is to suggest a myriad of things to try in order to make it work (all of which will probably turn out to be futile). How many hours would you sacrifice to make it work or get EUR 30 back, if there are so many alternatives out there? So technically, the right is on my side but this does not help much, as the effort to get my money back outweighs the reward.

8. shieber

It should never be hard to get a refund early after purchase. And open products that don't work correctly are not excluded from refunds because they are "open." I think that's utter nonsense for someone representing Acronis to pull that kind of stuff on a customer. I sympathize with your predicament. And I regret seeing Acronis behaving like this, the way I've come to expect Symantec to treat its customers.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Radioactive Man, could you please clarify what Acronis Office you've contacted via phone? I would investigate the situation with 'opened product'.

Could you please also let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter?

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

10. Radioactive Man

The office I contacted for the refund was EDV-BUCHVERSAND Delf Michel, the German partner which handles the online purchases through acronis.de. The order # was 3140844 and the support ticket number was 1335892. I only contacted support regarding the problem where the wrong folders were backed up, but I did not follow up on the reply (suggestion was to document everything using screenshots), as I had purchased a different backup program meanwhile. The compression problem I figured I could put up with until it will be fixed, but the other problem (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1183486) and the general bugginess seemed unbearable for a critical application like backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.