Danger, danger, Will Robinson !!!!!! Sality virus approaching.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AaLF, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Aaggghh. I'm stumped. I'm being overwhelmed by the sality virus. I feel like I'm getting covered in lice.

My sis picked up a sality virus and its spreading like a bad cold. Her drives, flash drives now seen in my drives. The 'Panda' keeps shovelling but you get no where when its snowing.

How do you get 'em out of the flash drives for a start? I reckons we should take 'em outside and hose all the HDDs. Rain kill the martians off in 'War of the Worlds' so it might work. If any AV expert has a better idea then PM me plz.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Re: DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON !!!!!! SALITY VIRUS APPROACHING.

I's sign up at PCAV's user forum if you haven't already. Also you might try Hitman Pro, MBAM and Dr. Web Cure it. Or try the post above mine first.

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

try dr.web cureit
    and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Best answer... +1
    I've used this tool to remove sality many times...:)

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

An advert, if ever I've seen one, for a good back-up strategy. Restore and go.

Quote from a Bleeping Computer thread I consulted trying to clean (albeit a couple of years ago now) 'Sality and other file infectors are not something a "specifc" tool or ANY tool can fix. It leads to a very unstable machine which ends up needed to be formatted and sometimes it can lead to problems that may allow you not to boot up any longer'. Their recommendation at that point - complete reformat and re-install of Windows

Another thread that may help. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic307261.html

Some form of rescue disc to get a hold of it without the OS in play might be the best bet but you should be aware this may result in system critical files being deleted/quarantined causing stability issues.

Hope you find a way and things have moved since I tried to clean this little pest but experience from that time = save the data you can, reformat and re-install if no back-up available and if you really don't need them take a hammer to your flash-drives.

Hope you find a better solution but...........

7. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks guys. got Kaspersky's salitykiller tool is running now. AVG's tool didn't nudge 'em.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Things change,infections that were once impossible to remove/fix or even detect do become so,remember how much trouble the 1st windows rootkits caused?

9. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Yeah, agreed. I genuinely hope that is the case.

Most modern Malware has a purpose though - to steal data, use your machine as a bot or hold you to ransom etc. That specific purpose means many act like 'ordinary' programs therefore they put efforts into hiding themselves via rootkits etc rather than being built to spread through your OS in quite this way.

While Sality no doubt helps set-up your machine for this type of activity it is more old school by spreading itself widely across the system by infecting targeted exe files it comes into contact with making it more difficult to track all the potentially infected files. It also means you might think you have got it all and it comes back as an infected file missed by the AV is accessed at some point in the future and the chase starts again. Despite claims to the contrary most AV's are better at detection than cleaning so the option is often to leave it or delete it. Deleting critical files is an issue obviously.

I'm not trying to scaremonger. If tools are regularly defeating it now I'm delighted, just pointing out what the potential endgame might be depending on how far the blighter has burrowed in and an alternative to the effort put into cleaning when restore/re-install may get a similar result.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

They're gone..... seems.

I tried a couple of AVs (not named) and they said I had to find removal tools. Stupid tools too. Both failed to do the job. Then installed Pandacloud & he set about kung-fu'ing the sality fleas. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.