Damn you 4.0

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Bigzizzzle, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigzizzzle

Bigzizzzle Registered Member

I can't tell you the horror and money lost, with this debacle. Eset sadly once our licenses expired im no longer using you. Also I am going to end my resellers agreement. The support is horrendous, you guys need a better PR person and get people cracking on this issue fast.

Ok here is my demographic, I am a desktop/sys admin / net admin for a small company of 50 PC's and i also do retail pc repair which is where my resellers comes in. Sadly to say we are not on a domain network now and dont have the time or the budget / resources to test patches. So of my 50 business computers approx 15 are vista business. After oking SP2 you destroyed all my computers in the known endless sp2 install debacle not to mention issues where NOD32 goes apeshit.

Also my clients im now having to give discounted repairs to basically fix their machines (after i promoted the **** out of my product to them). Now i look like a jackass. Im so frustrated. Here me out u guys do have the best in terms of ease of use and abiltiy to detect and top 3 at least on resource usage. But ever since 4.0 its gone down hill support product quality.

I MEAN THIS BUG is so bad. Please fix it and farewall to a great customer. And trust me I have more pull than 50 nodes. I also do side freelance work and scored several 500+ node installs after raving about it.

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

A bit of a rant, but some valid points I have to admit. This quality issue with SP2 should have been nailed weeks ago.

Jim

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I sympathize for you, but I think you need to calm down a bit instead of venting the frustration on a forum, it's really wasting your time and demotivates people to reply, calm well written posts tend to motivate more replies in any forum.

Anyway, I feel sorry for you being in such a bad position, and hope that ESET fix the SP2 problem soon, I too would like to install it sometime this year :rolleyes:

Oh, FYI, there are some SP2 workaround FAQ's laying around the place you may want to notify your clients about. Should help alleviate the tension until an update is out.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

In a corporate environment Service Packs should NOT be installed so quickly for just this reason. That is the main reason the majority of super large companies are still using XP, there is no way to predict these little conflicts and incompatibilities in service packs and/or new versions of an OS, that can produce such major problems. Hell, most companies that are "on the ball" as they say, have just made the switch to Vista's SP1, why you would install a service pack so quickly in a corporate/business setting is beyond me. Microsoft is quite aware of this and that is why they produce the Service Pack Blocker tool. I work for the federal government and our department just finished going to SP3 of XP last month, in the future I suggest you don't be so quick to adopt a service pack unless it is a dire need and there is nothing in SP2 for Vista that falls into this category.

6. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

My understanding is, that Bigzizzzle is tending to small to medium size shops.

Usually these companies have neither a test environment nor the money or personal to support one. Here everything goes directly "live".
    Add the automatic distribution of SP2 via Windows Update and there you go.

As you yourself have nicely pointed out https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1476052&postcount=156 this one is "courtesy" of Microsoft (and eset and the system administrators like Bigzizzzle have to take the flak for it).

7. Bigzizzzle

8. Bigzizzzle

Im very aware of that. Its just my boss is tightwad with the corporate credit card, plus im overworked / underpaid and over qualified.

9. flyrfan111

Yes, and I made the mistake of installing SP2 quickly on my home systems, at work as I said, we are on top of things in the computer biz and we just installed XP SP3. :D

I would say this has been a learning experience for ALL involved. I would also say that for those considering leaving Eset over this, they are NOT the only software maker having problems with SP2, nor are they the only AV maker having problems.

10. Bigzizzzle

Also in all retrospects why in gods green earth did ESET NOT test the sp2 RTM. I have a personal Technet account and damn thats been around for a year, they should over found these damn issues.

This is one reason why corporate has no other choice but to go with the big 3 AV'ers ie Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro. All be cause they understand that they can not f--- with their clients and they do testing and have great engineers.

{With respect to the analogy...., we'll snip it - Blue}. Take or leave the analogy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  11. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

As I said before, I'm feeling with you.
    However, Microsoft did pull a "fast one" with SP2 and made a last minute change in the way, Vista / 2008 with SP2 let other applications load dlls.

In the process, they broke quite a few applications:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;969707&x=20&y=3

I am positive that eset engineers did do their homework and have tested the SP2 editions available through technet. However, this last minute change might just have got them on the wrong foot (as many other software companies as well - see list above)

12. flyrfan111

And the page you linked to doesn't even mention Eset or Kaspersky products as having problems with SP2, all it mentions (as far as AVs go) are Trend Micro and Avira, and yet both Eset and Kaspersky products also have issues with the service pack. So Eset is far from alone in this fiasco. As I said before, AFAIK Eset did test the beta and RC SP2 that were released, as did a few other members that post here and there WEREN'T any problems, for some reason Microsoft either changed some code or added updates or something, I explained this in another post.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

He does not need to calm down! He lost money, and probably clients. Hes also probably spent endless hours trying to recover from this incident. I have several license with Eset as well, and i'm not using them because i'm afraid their product may damage my machines more than the malware their intended to protect me from. I hope they get their butt in gear. I've used eset since version 2.0. Are they lacking the staff to take care of the problem?

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That's my thought as well. Too fast an expansion I'm thinking.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

ESET have lacked staff for years on end..

16. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    There is a difference between "small business networks" and "corporate" networks, his network is approx 50x PCs..that small biz. By design, small biz networks are more left to end users doing as they please, there's no R&D, no time for testing, end users do as they wish.

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

How many of those in the list cause blue screens and pretty much an unusuable system to the typical end user? I mention typical end users because most "home users" don't know the knowledge to bounce into safe mode to uninstall, they won't know what eamon.sys means at the blue screen, and won't know to uninstall Eset.

The SP was final for quite a while, it wasn't that "last minute" of a change.

18. Bigzizzzle

Notice the latest support news.

June 1, 2009

An updated Anti-Stealth module (v1012, build date 20090526) is now available for testing purposes. To obtain it, open the ESET user interface, press the F5 key to open the Advanced Settings window, select Update in the left pane, then Advanced Update Setup in the right pane and check Enable Test Mode at the bottom of the window.

The next time the client performs an virus signature database update, it will also download the updated Anti-Stealth module.

If you are running ESET Smart Security, an updated Firewall module (v1047, build date 20090525) containing unrelated updates and fixes will also be downloaded for testing

No mention at all about SP2 fixes etc. I mean come on ESET lets focus on this Defcon 1 Level issue and not about updating some damn module. Plus last i checked with the destroyed machines that do manage to boot just barely, the Update mechanism is destroyed. Earth to Eset wake up.

So far Im down about an estimated 2000 Bucks from all the machines that did go down and the discounts and labor cost / etc of the repair business side.

19. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That is the fix for the SP2 issue

20. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Bigzizzzle,

As a reseller, you or your business should have received dedicated support to contact. I have sent you a PM. I would like to look into your case for you.

Thank you,
    Richard

21. Rmuffler

Hello All,

For more information on the issue with Service Pack 2 and for our current solution, please see the following articles:

NEWS: Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 conflict with version 4.0 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus — test fix released.

Knowledgebase (KB): Why does my Protection status icon turn red after installing Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008? (4.0)

Our Engineers and Developers are currently testing a fix for this issue. We will post a response in the forums as soon as the fix is released.

Thank you,
    Richard

22. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I posted months ago this issue. I got a message a while back asking for the Sysinspector log but I had already uninstalled SP2 on the laptop, and went back to SP1. Believe this was on March 6th.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235345

23. flyrfan111

Oh, I missed your thread, sorry, it does seem they had a heads up then, more so than I thought.:oops:

24. Rmuffler

25. boesdad

boesdad Registered Member

Richard, thanks for the link.

However, there is no mention, if we are to disable
    the test mode if we have it checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.