Daily auto update

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by hojtsy, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

How do I configure TDS3 to do daily auto-updates? It seems to do it only weekly.

thanks in advance
    -hojtsy-

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I didn't know the updates was automatic (even weekly).
    Currently i manually click on "Update TDS databases Now!" on the menu, updates are available daily.

May be a new task to add to the windows scheduler ? (update.exe)
    I think it should work.

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI hojsty.

I am at not sitting at my PC at the moment, so cannot confirm 100%, but I don't think the auto update works every day, just on Fridays from memory.

It's too easy to do the update anyway manually, just open GUI, Ctrl U and the Radius Updater appears and starts to download, then you can simply minimise each of them and when Radius has finished, it will install and disappear from Task Bar without any further input from you.

You can open the GUI back up if you like to see the current figures that were installed.

Cheers, TAS

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Hojsty, Automatic updates are set for Mondays and Fridays only :) Though there may be a .ss3 script for daily updates, check the ss3 forum at DiamondCS if you are a licenced operator.

HTH Pilli

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

there is at least an ss3 script starting the update when you run it from TDS, which is the VBS script in the Test/Demo files on top in this forum.
    Somewhere is a timer example, so if somebody just combines those two we have our daily update. But that part works when TDS is running, so it's less work to press the button for the update option (2 buttonclicks)
    then open SS3 > Load script > search script in maybe one or two folders deep > double click script to run it. But OK, it is fun to script something if it works and if so to post it in the Private forum for others to use too.

The update.exe works as well if TDS would not be up, so you can add that to the windows scheduler as well to run. Mind you: if you use that way and TDS would be running, you will have to reload TDS with all the startup scans to use that new database, while that part of only reloading the radius update goes all by itself via the automated or manual update.
    Same goes if you download the update from the site, also then TDS must be reloaded to use the new database.

6. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Hi there,

I am a bit confused about this talk about automatic updates, since I have had TDS3 running daily for 3 months now, and it never, ever updated anything automatically. I always have to update from the menu or CTRL<U>.
    I would like it to update truely automatically each time I start TDS, though.
    How can this be done? I should mention, that Automatic Database Updates is checked.

Thanks in advance

Nickie

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Nickie, Normally the autoupdate feature works on Mondays & Fridays when you first start TDS3 - Other days it is manual.
    So you have set Auto updates using TDS3 - Configuration - Options - Misc Options - Automatic Database Updtates.
    Jooske or Andreas know of an SS3 script you could use to have it update daily see other posts in this thread but it is probably not worth the effort :)

HTH Pilli

8. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

thanks for the quick response.

Monday & friday would also be fine.
    But it doesn't seem to do that. How come?

Nickie

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm not heard of that before, can you make sure that You have update.ex and update,cfg in your main TDS3 folder.

The contents of Update.cfg should like like this:

;Radius.TD3 Database Update Sites
    ;See http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update for latest server list
    Pilli

10. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Both update.exe and update.cfg are present in the TDS3 folder and update.cfg looks like you described it plus a couple more servers.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am not at all sure about this so you may have to wait for a reply from DCS unless another user (Jooske where are you?) :) has had this problem or can make more suggestions.

Pilli

12. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

Just a thought, do you have to be e registered user for this to work on Monday and Friday.

I'm a registered user and mine always runs on Monday and Friday like clockwork.

13. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

OK, thanks for trying.

Everybody else: feel free to give it a shot.

14. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Well, I am a registered user, so that ain't it - unless registration got messed up somehow. But I suppose I wouldn't be able to run a manual update then, would I?

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Correct you would have to download manually from DCS's site :)

16. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

Does TDS launch update.exe on each start-up, or is there some kind of scheduler to do this only monday & friday? If it's the latter, what would the scheduler be called then. I can't see anything in the TDS folder, that looks like a scheduler.

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You could of course put the update.exe in the windows scheduler, is that an idea? works fine for many!

18. Nickie

Nickie Registered Member

I just tryed to download and install a new copy of TDS, in case something had gone wrong with the old copy. But no, same result. So I will try the Windows scheduler now. I just find it strange, that Automatic Update works for some and not for others. Afterall it is the same program. It's discrimination! :)

Thank you, all, for your help.

Nickie

19. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I have a question about auto updating. I usually log on to my ISP (dial-up) every morning (M-F), open up the TDS-3 console (which is minimized in the task bar), click on the "Update TDS-3 Databases Now" button, and update the database. I didn't know that it would automatically update on Mondays and Fridays, although I wondered why every once in a while I see it try to update after I have already dowloaded the new database. (Duh!) My question is, if I didn't open the console after I log on to my ISP, will TDS-3 still try to update Monday and Friday, or do I have to open the console which is running minimized, for it to start the update process? I guess I can skip my usual morning update, and wait until tommorrow night (Monday) and see if has updated automatically.

20. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Cloudcroft, Having TDS3 minimised or in the sys tray will still allow the auto updates function, providing you have it enabled under Configuration - Options.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.