D drive full ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Soon after beginning to use Vista i began seeing dialog boxs informing me my D drive is nearly full....i am unable to find much info on this and do not understand why that drive is so full...i have made very few system restore points.....why has this happened and how can i either increase the d drive size or clean it up........there is a lot of info in that drive.....i did attempt to make a full system back up with the Vista software, prior to seeing the dialog popups, but had to stop when i realized the CD, i was going to move info to, was not large enough......so i backed out of the program.....might that have done something?

2. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Are you using HP or Compaq PC?

If so than probably you used Windows backup feature and backed up files on D (Recovery) partition.
    This partition is for system Recovery only!

If this is the case let me know and I will tell you how to fix it.

3. Rainwalker

Ok..thank you Durad....yes, i am sure that is what i did...using HP

4. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Step 1 is to create recovery disks (if you dont have one).

Step 2: Go to folder options and Select Show hidden files and folders , remove the selection from Hide protected operating system files, click OK!

Now open partition D, you will see folder that include computer name like Rainwalker_PC-PC. Press Shift and delete this folder, confirm deletions when asked.

Not go back to step 2 and select Default to reset those settings.

Thats it.

Now make sure your Backup and Restore Center is not scheduled to do these backups on the same partitions again, next time select USB drive or some other location.

Let mw know how it goes.

5. Rainwalker

I did as you suggested and it freed up a small amount of space....i now have 1.02 gigs free out of a posible 8.75......does that sound about right ?

6. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Yes,

Recovery partition contain data for 2 DVD media so its normal.

Just dont use that partition anymore and you will not get that error message again.
    The thing is that Microsoft Backup Tool see that D partition as good place to store data, it does not know that it is recovery partition.

You can always shrink main partition and create new one for backups in case you want to use the same drive to store backups.

7. Rainwalker

Thanks for your help Durad

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

spacemonger is a nice program to use when you need to see why a hard drive is full, it will show you which folders and files are using all the space. maybe it's not a great help for you with this problem, but it's a great program, much better then you'd expect from looking at the screenshots!
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spacemonger.html

have a look at the comments, they all love it, plus one of them mentions it's a standalone program as well :cool:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/SpaceMonger/SpaceMonger.html

screenshot -
    http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/spacemonger.htm

i just tried running both the old free version (which i gave a link to above) and the lastest shareware version on linux with the program wine and they both worked perfectly :eek: the new version is unbelievably good! but the old one is really clever too, you can click on one of the folders it shows and zoom in and it shows lots more info :cool:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.