CyberPower UPS units

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Oleg, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, I see. Over here in Holland we only have about 2 or 3 outages a year, and the voltages are quite stable. So far I never had any problems with my PC. But I agree, it makes sense to protect it, you never know what might happen in the future.

2. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@Bill_Bright thanks for clarification. :thumb: I pretty much agree with everything you said. When I researched this many years ago, (and it was every bit as involved as researching what computer would fit my needs at the time) I remember reading transients and other anomalies can be generated by the devices themselves, which ties in with what you said about it's not all the power grid. I keep my vacuum cleaner well away from my gear. I also wear an anti stat strap when I'm fiddling inside computer. I'm no trained techy but I try and do the right thing.

Brown outs are absolutely the pits. When they've happened here it's mostly just a number of seconds but the voltage can vary as to how far it goes down. We've had a couple very low voltage episodes lasting for a long time ....ie light bulbs barely showing they're on. I shudder to think how our freezer and fridge would have coped had I not been home to switch them off completely. Also I'm pretty sure when the power comes back on there's a huge draw on the power as everyones electrical devices get turned on again. For that reason, plus waiting for the power to "stabilize" I wait for some minutes before I turn stuff back on. When you're rural you learn to do these things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.