Cyberfox 17.0.1--64 bit Firefox variant

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cimmerian, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Async seriously slows down Chrome. Just run diagnostics to see;

chrome://histograms/DNS
    Async ON
    Histogram: Net.DNS_Resolution_And_TCP_Connection_Latency2 recorded 37 samples, average = 222.7 (flags = 0x1)
    Async OFF
    Histogram: Net.DNS_Resolution_And_TCP_Connection_Latency2 recorded 35 samples, average = 28.5 (flags = 0x1)

Wow.. Chromes Async is terrible, increasing latency on DNS resolution to 222.7 with it on. No wonder my performance is killed with Chrome and not Chromium which has Async off by default. I would imagine all of the complaints about Chromes startup being slow on the net would be resolved with this single setting. I have yet to see anyone post about this issue.

2. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

For any of you running Windows 8, Cyberfox's developer says he recently tested it on 8, and it runs faster on 8 than 7.

3. Bodhitree

I was able to get Operax64 up to 4200, equivalent to Cyberfox. But it took a lot of tweaking including enabling hardware acceleration threads, etc. Opera is my ideal browser, but I didn't like how slow it was, so this is a good thing. I am going to work on caching it into ram, and seeing if I can get it closer to 5000, then it will become my primary browser. (maybe)

EDIT UPDATES:
    I got Opera up to nearly 5000 on that benchmark by being really creative. It also appears far far faster than chrome loading pages, so the benchmark may not factor everything. What I am doing is running the 64-Bit USB version of Opera12 100% within the 500mb ram disk. Not a single aspect isn't running outside of the ram disk, and it is exceptionally fast. Also I made sure to install the Silverlight plugin, and other things, as well as turning on HW Accel, turning off the malware detection, and disabling the URL analysis within Opera as well as some developer tweaks.

I used this product; http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk freeware version, then set the ramdisk to save on exit or system shutdown, and reload on startup. It doesn't impact system speed at all, and with gobs of spare ram it doesn't really change much. I recommend 250mb min, 500 max in size, you will likely not fill any of that unless you don't clear your history/cache for a couple of years.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I tried Cyberfox but ran into identity issues with Firefox (it nicked Firefox settings\addons, etc) - too much conflict! - :p
    Since I'm too lazy to create separate profiles for both browsers I had to get rid of Cyberfox. Nice home page though! Plus, uses less memory than Palemoon (my other 64 bit browser) I had same issues once before with Waterfox\Firefox and SRWareIron\Chromium. :blink:

5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

That's strange...Cyberfox shares the same profile data as Firefox, I haven't had any issues. Have you tried posting your problem on the Cyberfox forum? The developer really tries to address every issue from what I can see. That's one of the reasons I'm sticking with this variant.

6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Initially I thought Cf was rendering pages faster than Ff and probably does from cite to cite. However, I did notice opening a new session (MSN is the home page and admittedly is the worst possible as I believe it has several flash "things" going on) was slower. Indeed, I then reinstalled Ff and it did load MSN faster. I have 13 active extensions and only one didn't work with Cf. No other issues and certainly not a bad experience. For now I'm back to Ff but will probably try Cf again as it's a painless process going between the two browsers. If anyone has any theories on the new session issue I'd like to hear them. Perhaps this can be rectified and I'll go back to Cf. Thank you!

7. Bodhitree

New session delay is usually something to do with DNS, or Asynchronous scanning. You can do a few things that should solve this;

Internet Options (IE/Windows), then Lan Settings, then disable Automatic Lookup. Also in Chrome you can go to about:flags, then disable asynchronous DNS. Finally, disable netbios on your network card;
    http://marjanrepic.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/disable-netbios-over-tcpip-in-windows-7-ent/

Firefox most likely has some DNS settings somewhere as well. In my experience, 99% of the time slow session starts are because of DNS scanning and lookups. I am able to make Chrome start in less than 1 second by disabling these things above, whereas before the first session can take up to 20+ seconds.

8. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

OK - that's interesting! I thought it was some kind of 'glitch' that it was creating Mozilla folders in my AppData\Local folder. (I actually renamed my Firefox 'profile' folder to something else and then re-installed Cyberfox - that's how I saw it's proper Home page, etc - but of course I couldn't then use Firefox) I still have the setup file for Cyberfox, so I might experiment some time and see if I can resolve this conflict! (I like nutting out these kinds of issues!) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.