CWShredder and Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ENT, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENT

ENT Registered Member

I just had a wierd thing happen! I ran CWShredder and my antivirus popped up and said "change in homepage". I checked Blaster and it was unticked where you set it for current user. So I ran Shredder again and sure enough it happened again...What could be causing this? Help is really appreciated,Thanks ENT

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey ENT,

So I'm understanding you correctly. You tick the IE Home page setting in Spywareblaster....and you run CWshredder....and then you check Spywareblaster....and the setting is un-ticked ?

CWshredder 2.13....nor to my knowledge....did any of the previous versions ever fool with the below reg key that Spywareblaster changes....in respects to Disabling the IE Home page.

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

3. ENT

ENT Registered Member

HI, yes that is right, but I am using 1.59. Does it every time. So I tried to uninstall CW but there is no uninstaller so I just deleted it and shut down and on start up it came back up asking to access the internet? Didn't give it permission of course! I did a search for it but it couldn't find it? Strange? Thanks Bubba, ENT

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm easily confused....but what came back up ?

Also....in case you wanted to know....CWshredder does not have an un-install file because it is simply one executable file.

5. ENT

ENT Registered Member

Hi, I'm sorry for not explaining well enough.:) CW came up and asked to permission. I checked the registry and also did a search for it but I can't find it.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I don't mean to be a bother....and only what to help make sure you are not infected....but....CW should not be popping up and asking you anything....not even version 1.59.1 o_O

You are positive it is CW....and could you possibly attempt to post a screen shot of what you are seeing on start-up ?

7. ENT

ENT Registered Member

I'm trying to but I don't know how? I got the picture to Word but don't know where to go from there? Thanks

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you tried the link I placed in my above post ?

This link---> FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting

If you would rather....just upload that Word document with the pic....and I'll take care of making it show up good enough.

9. ENT

ENT Registered Member

I'm trying :) It won't let me upload Doc.dot?

10. ENT

ENT Registered Member

As you can see, I am not a nerd! Wish I was... I have 12 items on my clipboard now...how do I get rid of them? I know you are trying to help! I get frustrated with me too...:)

11. ENT

ENT Registered Member

All I can tell you is after I deleted CW I reboted and ZoneAlarm said CW wants permission to acess the internet and I said no. On my ZA interface it has the little icon of CW and all of the x's to block it out. One thing pecular is I downloaded CW on the 10/24 at 10.pm and sp3res.dll was modified at 11:07 pm and antivirus can't scan smss.exe. Is that normal? Thanks, ENT

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  12. ENT

ENT Registered Member

Hi, From the Spyware warrior rouge site, can't remember where it went from there, Thanks (Just remembered! It was from Merlins site. Memory goes as the days pass on! :)

13. ENT

ENT Registered Member

Hi, do you think if I downloaded the newer version and see if it does the same thing, that would help to figure this out? If so can you give me a link for the newer one? Thanks :) Never mind I just remembered that people were complaning after Spy Subtract took over and so they gave a website that still had the old one. Think it was here or Castle cops. I don't know if I want to try the new one....Thanks, ENT

14. ENT

ENT Registered Member

Hi, now this is really begining to bother me... I just brought up Spyware Blaster to update it and and besides Blaster coming up the window that allows you to change the time on your computer pops up and Zone Alarm "says a new component wants to use this program do you want to allow it"? Of course I said no but doesn't this seem strange to you? Anybody? Thanks, ENT

15. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Yes, try the new one. They (Intermute) seem to have fixed the false positives that were present even in 1.59.1. CWShredder 2.13

16. ENT

ENT Registered Member

Hi, Okay I downloaded new version of CW and while it was checking, zonealarm pops up and says CW wants to launch Generic host process for win.32? I say no and CW keeps checking and says I'm completly clean...Why would it want to launch Generic Host Process? Thanks, ENT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.