cwc help?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Greg, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg

Greg Registered Member

I noticed that my computer was running slower and slower online, so I ran spybot s&d and spyware blaster. Then I checked your website and got the cwshreder and ran that. after I restarted the computer wanted my windows info as if I had restored it.( the registration number) then it opened to a strange desktop with all files having a .lnk after them. nothing will open and 'my computer' says it is an invalid drive. I tried scandisk and it found nothing wrong. I tried to open the spyware blaster to reset the system from the snapshot it took, but it won't open. Please don't tell me all I can do is delete and restore the whole darn thing.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Greg,

Can you remember if CWShredder found a BHO called DReplace.dll ?
    This is still under investigation, but it seems this BHO was corrupted (on purpose?) and will damage the OS when unregistered.
    This is what CWShredder does, so you could be a victim.
    Could you tell us as much as possible about your computer, so we may be able to establish if there is a pattern.
    I will keep you posted on any developments ofcourse.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Welcome to Wilders Greg, and I hope things turn out okay; I've heard you did a reformat but let us know how it works out!

4. Greg

Greg Registered Member

I did not get the messege on how to restore backup of the win95 registry until after I played with restoring the hard drive with the NEC restore CD. I played until I found that I could use a boot disk ( it is a bootable CD) and from the Dos A:\ fdisk and format, run the D:\ setup and leaving the disk in the drive will stop the restore at each of the lists it carries. apparently the first list is the one with win95 and the ultilities to run the computer. The second list is all the Programs the computer came with and the last one has the useless Merlin program, allowing me to load as much of NEC's crap as I wanted to. The full version win95B I bought was also pretty neat to load except I didn't have a D: drive. Bummer!
    I ended up fdisking again and using a 98SE. I downloaded spyware blaster and spyguard. Also I am using xen to clean up the junk files. The win 98 has better drivers than I could find for the win95 as far as the old 2320 chip from aztech labs on the modem and the ati chip on the motherboard for the video adapter. I am having a ball and I was able to save the pics I was worried about, although I could not save some E-mails.I am now trying to update the windows at microsoft but keep getting booted off-line. LOL I am getting it together slowly and will search for new drivers for my old but still working canon 600e printer. The one I used microsoft backup with is a joke. The man who made backup must still be laughing. Thank you for your help, all of you.
    Greg

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, glad you saved the pics and got it working anyway :D

6. Greg

Greg Registered Member

I am sorry it took me so long to see this. I didn't check my e-mail for a while. Thank you all for your help and support. Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.