custom install?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Rilla927, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hello gang,

Is there a custom install for the complete version? Looking to possibly purchase for renew. I want to leave the FW out cuz it froze up my system twice after the new update came through recently so I want to avoid problems when I re-install my OS.

I also had OutPost as a primary FW at the time. The only other security program installed is Returnil. Thanks.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The firewall shouldn't affect your system negatively. Can you try leaving it at default settings and uninstall/reboot/reinstall to see if that improves it?

Thanks!

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the firewall only will affect outbound from what i see and also will only affect certain items to which you can simply just leave as allowed if you want to. otherwise i see zero impact from the firewall and actually zero impact at all from the program.

i did have one minor issue with the firewall and after a QUICK reinstall it was solved.

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I appreciate the info fellas.

I know it shouldn't affect the system negatively but it did. I don't want to end up in a position where I take the time to reinstall everything and not be able to get into my system at all. I don't have the time to mess around with this so I'm trying to avoid any problems that could possibly arise.

Does it have a custom install? Thank you.

5. zfactor

as far as i know it can not be installed without the firewall but joe would be better to answer this. i would be interested as well to know

6. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Any version that has the firewall cannot be installed without the firewall. There is no custom install in the sense of "pick and choose which features" because the code is there in -all- the versions and the server check tells it what it is allowed to do. If there is a problem for a specific system, configuration, or whatever, the attitude of Webroot and Joe is "get it fixed and make it work right" as opposed to "Oh, just turn it off and deal without it."

I'm curious what you managed to do to get the firewall to cause a problem for your system when so many other people have no problem with it. I mean, for the system to completely freeze and for you to somehow be able to disable the firewall despite the complete freeze and determine that it's definitely specifically the firewall strikes me as pretty impressive.

Sadly, not everything is for everybody. If your system somehow manages to do something that I have not heard of anybody else's system managing to do and you don't want to work to get it fixed, it seems unlikely that Webroot is going to make a special version of the program just for one person. So it's possible that in your exceptionally odd system, Webroot is not appropriate. I've got it installed on several hundred systems for my clients and have never had a problem with the firewall, so I'll continue to put it on hundreds more. If one system has a problem, as usual, I'll wait a few weeks, provide detailed information, and usually it'll get fixed rapidly. Generally I discover the system itself has issues and when those are fixed, Webroot works just fine.

But if it can't work for you, then you'll just have to live without maybe. :(

7. guest

guest Guest

There are always alternatives :thumb:

8. fax

fax Registered Member

It must be a general conflict of latest WSA with your system/applications as the firewall component was always there even without seeing it. The best is to get the issue troubleshooted directly with support. :thumb:

9. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Yup!

I wouldn't put WSA on my aunt-in-law's system, for example, because she freaks out if she doesn't "Feel the AV working", so it needs to slow down and bug her all the time or else.

10. zfactor

hahahahaha i have SO MANY clients that way!!! ive installed say eset and others on some systems and i get calls asking me to change their av because its not working. i ask them if they have been infected and they say well no but i know its no working i dont ever hear from it or see it working, i tell them thats the point!! and many times i have changed peoples av's out to something that i know for sure WILL NOT protect them as well because when it pops up they have zero idea of how to answer the pop ups..

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

How did you determine that it was the firewall component in WSA that caused your system to freeze?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.