Curtain for MSN TV

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/07/08/curtain-for-msn-tv/

Edit:
    http://www.msntv.com/pc/

Closure FAQ:http://webtv.com/ClosureFAQ.asp

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its the end of an era... at a time when PC's were still expensive, in 1996, WebTV was an innovative set top product for its era. Today it feels kind of dated. I feel sad to see it pass on but as we all know from life, "all good things must come to an end." WebTV was my first introduction to the Internet. Sadly, there will be never be anything like it again. :'(

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Nothing like it? I'd say today's game consoles, media boxes, and smart TVs with built-in web browsers are the same concept.

4. NormanF

Unlimited Internet access was unheard of back in the 90s. Its main limitation was that it couldn't do everything a computer could do and no one uses dial up any more.

There are other alternatives which is why Microsoft is finally phasing it out.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

To tell you guys a secret, I had never heard of it, and never used it, until I saw this report that they were going to shut it down "Hmmm MSN TV what's that all about.....". So even if I have been "online" since 98/99 I really don't know what it looked like back then or even last year. :oops:

Maybe I should read on about it on Wikipedia :)

Edit: I'll add a link incase others want to know the history about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSN_TV

6. NormanF

It was a set top box that allowed you to go online over the phone line and your TV. It came with built-in RAM and its own proprietary web browser but it ran quite fast because it wasn't weighed down with unnecessary applications and lots of hard drive churn. The browser was updated by an update sent periodically over the main server down to the set top box. It was an elegant simple idea at the time: pure Internet access for a low price (the cost of the set top box) and for a low monthly rate. That made it compelling for people for whom a computer back then financially remained out of reach.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Yes it really feels like it was a great and useful concept for many people around that time. :)

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I had it (WebTV) for several years- 1998 to 2005.
    It was my relatively low-cost ticket to the internet and actually performed pretty well until about 2003 when web page design and the increasing use of flash media rendered it almost useless.

I have two friends who still use it but I've quit as of some time ago sending links to interesting web sites and articles because MSN TV can't open or properly display them in most cases.

It was a novel idea that worked but has long outlived it's usefulness.

RIP.

9. NormanF

The browser couldn't support modern web standards. I'm sure it could render web sites properly with HTML 5. The idea of pure Net-centric device has its appeal and WebTV will live on in tablets and smartphones, which do the same thing much better.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It was a useful little thing at the time, though you certainly weren't going to do a lot with it. The best use it got from me were the MSN chat rooms and email. I learned a good bit of my HTML from it too.

11. NormanF

It was never intended to replace a computer. But it was intended to allow one to view the Web faster and better than any computer and at the time it did that pretty well.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

At the time I could say I was viewing the web on a much bigger screen than anyone on my block, lol. Us users were also doing mobile years before mobile was "in"...so long as you had a TV and a phone jack in every room :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.