Cursor Freezes when trying to re-boot in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Norm, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norm

Norm Registered Member

Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to advise me here - my problem is two-fold: Firstly, when I try to start up my XP computer in Safe mode, the cursor freezes mid-way through the safe mode start up process: at the point (page) where I am directed 'to begin, click your user name'. There's no egg-timer - just the hand icon, which is un-budgeable; and it stays there, in the middle of the screen, 'till I decide to turn the computer off.

The second part to this problem is: ever since updating my Norton Internet Security from 02 to 03 (downloaded update from net) I've been getting a fairly infrequent and random message popping up from Norton, saying "Cannot read subscription Data. You may need Administrative Privileges". So, I wrote to Symantec, and they replied with a URL link on this very matter; however, whilst following their troubleshooting solution (and things were going swinmmingly for several steps), my progress was frustrated at the following point (in bold):-

If you have a missing security tab, follow these steps, then start over with step 1 of the previous section.
    1. Right-click the Start button and then click Explore.
    2. Click Tools and then click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab.
    4. Scroll down to, and clear "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)." I DON'T APPEAR TO HAVE THIS.
    5. Click Apply and then click OK.
    6. Start over with step 1 of the previous section.

Then, whilst I knew I couldn't advance any further through the process, I skipped ahead and read the final steps of the solution given to me by Symantec: it seems that the process of getting rid of the "Cannot read subscription Data. ... " pop-up culminates in me having to startup my computer in Safe Mode; even if I did have "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" to clear in my list of options, I wouldn't be able then to complete the process by starting in Safe Mode, before editing the registry etc.

So, most importantly, can anyone suggest how to fix my frozen cursor problem, 'cos I imagine there might be other sceanrios in the future, other than this Norton pop-up problem, which will reuire me to boot-up in safe mode.

Also, does anyone know why I don't appear to have the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" Just an idea - it might not be related, but I recently blocked Netbios ports 135-139, in order to stop some adware problems (it worked). I know these ports have something to do with file-sharing, but blocking them wouldn't have got rid of "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" would it?

Thanks, Norm.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Norm

Welcome to Wilders :)

For those familiar with XP the following might help with one of the issues:
    Symantec Knowledge Base Article

Regards,

CrazyM

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Norm

Could you confirm the version of XP - Home/Pro.

In regards to the NIS error message, when logged in as Admin, do you have access to the Security tab for the folders described in the Symantec KB article?

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Norm,

I have win xp too. I followed all the steps you gave and although I have a diff. language software, I think that Norton speaks to take off the check mark:
    the eighth line in the view tab
    which is "display a simple view of documents and files in the explorer" --I'm translating here, it may be written in another way in your software--The same to me: I don't have:"use simple file sharing in the view window. So, I think they meant the eighth option. I don't see other way here.
    If it doesn't work either, you might try to set all the options by default. Bye, Uguel

5. Norm

Norm Registered Member

Hi CrazyM, cheers for the link - it helps to have it for reference on this thread. I've been trying to follow that procedure, so far without success, since contacting Symantec with my query. After realising I indeed had a missing security tab, I got stumped at the 'use simple file sharing' point. My version is XP Home, by the way.
    I'm not too impressed with XP in general, as it goes, but I'm not here to rant, I guess!

Uguel, that sounds cogent, thank you for you research, and I will try the 'display a simple view of documents and files in the explorer' option instead. First, though, I need to sort out the problem of my cursor freezing when I attempt to reboot in Safe Mode. When that is resolved (anyone any ideas?!), I can hopefully successfully follow the Symantec procedure to the end and get rid of that irksome ' ... may need administrator privileges.' pop-up I spoke of upthread.

6. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Norm!

Well, there are many issues about your problem when making a research on the net. Here's a link where people are discussing the matter:
    http://www1.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20427558.html

Ok, that link talks of problem at start up, nevertheless, if you make a research about your problem for cursor freezes when trying to reboot, you'll find similar answers as those given in the link. Except, the one I found for the rebooting mode was for win 98. See the diff. queries in the following page:
    http://www.metacrawler.com/_1_2ZRST6503NJN3EZ__info.metac/dog/webresults.htm?&qkw=cursor+freezes+when+I+reboot+under+windows+xp&qcat=web&method=0&top=1&start=&ver=5703

All in all, they advise people to make sure there isn't any program conflicts...Antivirus software may also enter into conflict sometimes with other applications. Windows updates too. BTW, did you notice that behaviour after installing a program? They may be many issues as you can see in the links I gave.
    If you don't find any solutions then I'll be wondering if a restoration might be of help... Bye, Uguel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.