Current status of PC Tools FW-Plus?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeBCda, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've got the free version of PC Tools firewall (7.0.0.123), and have been quite happy with it. I know it was "retired" about a year ago, then brought back to life presumably due to major demand by users, and I'm trying to find out its current status.

For several months now, any time I've tried the Smart Update, I eventually get a message saying "your subscription has apparently expired, please renew at a discount". When I check their site for current versions, Firewall Plus isn't listed, not even under the list of retired products. o_O

Thanks to anyone who can set me straight on this.

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Here ya go, Version 7 for Windows 7, Vista, XP

PC Tools Site Map:
    http://www.pctools.com/sitemap/

PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Firewall Software:
    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

HKEY1952

3. MikeBCda

Thanks, but as noted in my OP I already have a build of ver. 7, and there doesn't seem to be any way to determine what the most up to date build is, or any way to update mine.

And I've had that download link bookmarked for ages, and had already used the site map in vain hopes it would steer me to the info I was looking for.

Thanks again anyway, and best.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I believe the latest version is 7.0.0.123.

5. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

He already said he has 7.0.0.123 installed, do we have PCTFW+ devs in the forum?

6. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

I believe that AChen is the one you're looking for, although he's not active on Wilders ;)

You could try creating a topic in PC Tools Firewall Plus forums, as it will more likely be seen there.

Additionally, I've stumbled upon thread there named 'Subscription Expired'. You can start there.

HTH

7. MikeBCda

Thanks for the links, Barthez. I went to their forum and was mildly surprised to see I'd already registered there ages ago. As suggested in that thread about expired subscriptions, I sent a PM to AChen explaining my situation and passing along my registration info, and hopefully that'll do the trick. I pointed out to him that between that problem and their website design, there's apparently no way of checking whether updates are available.

I'm a little surprised the "subscription" needs renewed for a free product, and I sure don't remember seeing anything about that when installing. My avast also needs renewed annually, primarily so they can keep track of number of active users, but they do send out a reminder about a month before.

Thanks again, and best

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Still have problems with SBIE....when i start Chrome sandboxed it simply freezes and SBIE reports errors.

9. lws

lws Registered Member

This link describes the problem with Sandboxie and PC Tools FW. -http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11787

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thank you,i will keep an eye there as i really like that damn FW.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.