Curious...?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by smallhagrid, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Acadia,

For the default install it creates the virtual drives on the "D" partition if available. It is basically bunch of hidden files of 2gb each with a average installation of 48gb, thus creating 24f files of 2gb each. These files are in the root of the partition.

At the end of install it gives the option to disable defrag and system restore. And, it advises not to use them.

If I remember right, on custom install it allows you to change the partition and/or the drive. And, the amount of space to be allocated for the snapshots.

Use their USA site to download the trial version as they have the latest versions only on this site:

http://www.farstone.com/software/restore-it.php

Where as, EASEUS ToDo has only the default install. It installs the snapshots on the "D" partition if available. At the end of the installation it gives you the option for how much space to be allocated for snapshots. It creates a hidden sub-directory in the root of the partition and under this sub-directory, it creates one hidden virtual drive of the total space allocated.

According to EASEUS one can defrag, run chkdsk, leave the systems restore on. This can be done for all partitions and/or drives, including the system partition and the partition where the snapshots resides. On their forum someone posted they could not complete defrag on the partition where the snapshots resides. They said that, they will look into it and if there is a problem they will correct it.

Best regards,

KOR!

2. carfal

carfal Registered Member

Pete, reading your reply reminded me that FD truely is a great piece of software. There's no doubt that when it comes to recovering your OS from a complete failure, FD has the goods to do it with minimal fuss. :)

Like i said, the 2 technologies are radically different. For this reason they probably cant and/or should not be compared. I mean FD works by essentially doing images (snapshots) and updating these images with the bonus of being able to boot to them. For extra security you are also able to copy these snapshots offline for later recovery.

Rollback on the other hand is an instant recovery program (in the true sense of the word) by taking incrimental snapshots. It has been recently discovered that one can image the HD using sector by sector option to save the whole Rollback environment offline. But this is hardly the same thing that FD does. Rollback's strength is the ability to go back and forward in time relatively easy and snapshot taking and loading is super quick.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

The choice between the two really is a "matter of individual need."

As you already know....my need is Rollback. :D

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The imaging sector by sector was never an option for me. I am using about 40gb of a 640gb drive. The time and where to store that image......

Pete

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

o_O ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ when will this ever end Its simple, If you want large amounts of space used up on your drive use FD-ISR if you dont! use something else, but ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ will all the obvious non deviators from FD-ISR refrain from belittling other programs. I've used nearly all in question, and they ALL do 1 thing...some do more, The main thing here is you cant buy FD-ISR anymore, the others you can, So If you have it already "Hooray" if you havent "Tough" :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

wow.

~ Off Topic Comment Removed ~

I guess it looks like there's no real, current alternative to FD-ISR aside of the well known imaging products.

What is funny here is that I am fairly certain I bought it way back when and then had a hard drive crash before I could even install or try it.
    Makes me wonder if I may find a copy of it someday on one of my old hard disks sitting in that dusty box...

One question and I'll move on here:
    Does anyone have a revision history of the ISR product to share ?

Thanks for the great and informative replies everyone !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.