Curious-How long have there been skins?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I never knew there were skins for this site until I went tonight to mark all threads read. I saw this thing about skins. So, I tried "Full screen 1280" and I LOVE it! I'm going to kick myself if you tell me this has been available for ages and I only now discovered it. ;)

This makes a huge difference. It is great! I especially like the very wide box I am typing this in.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Well then bend over Mele.(J/K) :D

If i recall right, it hasn't been that long. My guess would be 3 or 4 months. :doubt:

One of the staff could tell u exactly. ;) :D

I agree it is a nice feature. :cool:

snowbound

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I added the three specific display width based styles in late June, I believe. I had a few people who normally run with either 800x600, 1024x768 or different 1280 options try them, and they seem to make better use of available screen real estate when running full-screen. Posting boxes, code display box and other things end up fitting better to screen size for each resolution.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have a flat panel 19" LCD digital monitor with a fixed resolution of 1280x1024 and many sites display all cramped up in a small section of the left hand part of the screen. This site, with default skin, has always displayed well on this monitor but now it is even better. :) I especially like the very wide box to type posts in. Now this site looks like it is intended to work optimally with 1280x1024 displays. I just wish I had noticed this when you first did it.

5. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Samsung 193v?

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It is very nice, I found them a couple/few months ago and wondered the same thing. Any chance of getting some custom color schemes, though? :D :D (not that I don't like the current scheme, but it would be great if we could pick our own)

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Go on...give him a nice pink skin. :)

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

ROFL Hey now! :D :D

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Close. Dell 1901

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, PLEASE!! I would LOVE green. I don't like blue at all.

What's wrong VBulletin.com? I can't register there so I can look at the colors offered. I was informed that I didn't typed the correct string of characters. Well those are hard to see. Why make them squiggly and sideways? I always type those wrong, but hardly any sites use the sqiggly, sideways characters now. They use clear and easy to read normal characters that you type. Anyhow, it told me to type a new set. I couldn't read it either and Fx would not let me even try to type it correctly. Fx just froze.

Anyhow, I'd love to be able to use some color other than blue here and I love green. Plus, green would complement my Red Cats-Green Flavor Fx theme.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Weird, it didn't ask me to register at all..

Attached Files:

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I like this one :)

Attached Files:

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It said I was forbidden to view those pages unless I registered.

I LOVE the green!!! Mike can we please have color choices? :)

The blue you posted is the same as what we have here already.

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Well you found it before I did...:)

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

how do i chance the skins here? thanks.

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Bottom left drop down box.

Attached Files:

17. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Keep in mind that this isn't full skins that we're referring to here. Basically, we tuned a few simple style changes to handle specific screen widths better. vBulletin usually has specific settings for with related things in the forum. Things like margins, posting/reply windows, code boxes, etc.

Some people still use a lower screen setting like 800 pixels width, and they were struggling with not being able to see enough of the forum when there were borders on the sides. In fact, some windows had pieces scrolling horizontally on their systems because of some wide fixed width page elements. The "800" tuned style is much better for them. At the other extreme, people with very wide screen settings were finding that the reply boxes or code blocks were only using a small amount of the available screen width, so the "1280" style is much better for them.

I've got a lot of different things to do yet in fine tuning things under vBulletin 3.5, plus I want to make sure we shake out any issues prior to making big changes, but I may look into alternate skins (well, same "style" just different color schemes). The only issue is that we'll need out Smiley library adapted to any new color schemes. (And before you suggest it... No, we're keeping our current imbedded Smileys. They have a union contract and I'm not going to have them picketing us. :D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.