Curious about some new products.....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello everyone,

There are two things I would like to ask you guys about:

1)MicroWorld has released the latest MWAV version 8.0

http://www.mwti.net/products/mwav/mwav.asp

I found this line to be important:

Of course, MWAV's free version still does not clean, and the price for a license of this toolkit is outrageously high at USD 99.95 (just another trick to make users buy eScan Internet Security).

I do remember from my past contact with Tech support and development that MWTI was developing their own malware detection engine. This means that they are moving away from the Kaspersky engine (even if the current product might also contain KAV's extended bases), which IMO is not such a good move.

2)There seems to be a new AV on the market, made by Indian company Sanra Software which is based in Chennai.

http://www.sanrasoft.com/rudra.asp

The way things are written in the website, it seems that it uses neither signature nor heuristic technology, although nothing is said about how it works, except for 'proprietary technology'.

Does anyone know anything about this product?

Thanks,
    FC :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i know nothing about rudra (i cant try it atm, but maybe afterschool) also after a brief look thru its brochure, it seems like it asks permission for executing programs. it also offers "monitoring system configuration and system control files" whatever that may mean.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

If the Rudra claims can be made real this is a break through in security programs! What a shame that a download is unavailable..

4. TeraInnovations

TeraInnovations Registered Member

According to
    http://www.sanrasoft.com/rudrapreinstallation.asp ,

Rudra requires the system to be clean pre-installation. Rootkits will probably be able to get around it, and uneducated users will probably get infected many times because software requires end users to make the final decision.

Also, if they do the blocking I'm guessing they are doing, installing/uninstalling programs will cause false positives (as uninstallers frequently add themselves to the \Run\ keys in the registry)

If a friend says: "No really! This program isn't malicious, try it!", the user will probably be suckered into running it anyway.

Its not a bad idea (nor an original one), but it is making a lot of assumptions about users.

Just my 2c,
    -Tera Innovations, Incorporated Support Team

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I, for one, am quite skeptical about Rudra. I shall avoid it for the time being.

6. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Oh noes, another security product claiming to protect the user against all harm, past, current and future... :rolleyes:

Dr.Solly got it right, the PrevX guys even got the statistic data to proof that statement.

8. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I don't know if i should write that or not, but there is really (and will not be) a newcomer nobody has heard before who is able to provide this. I wrote enough technical business concepts for several firms - some of these papers were "supervised"/inspected by a wellknown av company from UK and were aproved to be technically "excellent". If you build up a company and you're looking for investors the first question is "What makes you different from all existing solutions" - What should you answer there? It has to be a sufficiently fact. Otherwise nobody is interested to "sponsor" just another Security Solution. Most of the Board Members from such "new" companies do not even know how to fulfill the promises made in such "contracts" they only know that they have to do it "somehow". Do you really think you can develop world leading solutions by just picking up some strangers for development or virus analysis at the next bus stop? That's completely IMPOSSIBLE and i would bet my underwear on it. It may sound strange, but most of them opening wide their eyes when it comes 1. to problems which they didn't expect (or believe) 2. when they find out during implementation that the technically concept was wrong BUT THAT THEY HAVE TO SELL IT TO GAIN SOME MONEY. I'm not going to educate ppl here how this investor/new company relationship works. This doesn't belong to this forum type here. But one is for sure - most of the newcomers finding out very fast that it's NOT THAT EASY AS THEY THOUGHT.

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

It must be extremely difficult to come into the AV market as a new company as the opposition has built up a proven reputation for excellence over many years.
    Security is not something the majority want to gamble with and once they find a product they are happy with they tend to stick with it.

You always get 'fiddlers' (sorry, lol) people who always want to try something different but the old adage applies more strongly IMHO when it comes to the security of your precious information-if it aint broke, don't fix it.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

So MWAV detects malware, but doesn't remove it until you buy it. At least that's what I understand.
    Well that is typical for rogue softwares. I'm not interested in such softwares.
    I can accept lesser features in a free or trial version, but not the main ones.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, MicroWorld is proven and perfectly legit company.
    The Free edition is simply just for checking if PC is malware free, no less no more. But thats because it's free.
    Pretty similar to BitDefender 8 Free (which lacks RT scanner) but this is limited in some other way...

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It doesn't matter for me, legit or not.
    If a software detects malware on my computer, I want it removed also.
    A software which does that to me has my disapproval already.

They make it sound like a good deal :D and that for the nth blacklist scanner and re-inventing the wheel o_O
    Very innovative as MicroWorld claims to be :rolleyes:
    This is pure theft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.