Curiosity question to Linux users from a Linux user

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by dan_maran, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yep, it is updated every day. Now, if you are using the one from the main repos and it works for you, I would stick with it. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them. The one in the repos will be updated as needed (security and bug fixes, etc). I just like to live on the edge with the nightly builds.

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

TBH, I wouldn't trust the Ubuntu repos with something that's so bleeding-edge and meant to be updated daily.

There seems to be no point in using Chromium if you don't update it on a regular basis, though. Might be more practical to stick with Chrome instead.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Why not? Lots of people use the Chromium nightly build PPA.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, point taken, I only wanted to see how it compares to Opera. Chrome apparently comes with tracker stuff which I don't like - would prefer the open source Chromium.
    My current bandwidth constraints will unfortunately not be condusive to daily build downloads. Maybe to counter boredom I will get Opera 10.54 http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/05/12/unix-bug-fixes and compare it to my current 10.10 :)

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Currently running Chrome and Opera, Chrome excels on Google sites like Youtube whereas overall the Opera beta 10.54 is faster here.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's different from the chromium-browser package from the Ubuntu repos, isn't it?

Personally, I don't see the "tracker" stuff as a practical concern. But that's just me.

Another option, if you don't want daily Chromium updates, is to write your own bash script that wgets Chromium off the Chromium project's snapshot server as .zip packages, then schedule a cronjob to run it as desired (this is what I'm doing now).

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Looks like a clever way to do things if you don't want a new build every day. Unfortunately for me I have not yet written my own bash scripts and neither have I dabbled with cron jobs. I found this bash script on the net (sans cron job). Is it similar to yours ?
    Code:
    #/bin/sh

echo "Chromium daily build downloader";
    echo "-------------------------------\n";

STARTDIR=`pwd`
    INSTALLDIR="$HOME/Desktop"
    CONFDIR="$HOME/.chrome"

cd $CONFDIR
    OLDVERS=`cat CURRENT`

if [ "$1" != "" ]
    # Get specific version
    then
            CVERS=$1
            echo "$1" > NEW
    # Get newest version
    else
            wget -q http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/LATEST -O NEW
            CVERS=`cat NEW`
    fi

if [ "$CVERS" = "$OLDVERS" ]
    then
            echo "Got the newest version: $OLDVERS";
            rm NEW
    else
            echo "Downloading version: $CVERS, $((CVERS-OLDVERS)) revision(s) difference";
            wget -q http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/$CVERS/chrome-linux.zip
            if [ $? != 0 ]
            then
                    echo "ERROR: Build number $CVERS could not be found"
            else
                    echo "Unziping...";
                    unzip -q chrome-linux.zip -d $INSTALLDIR
                    rm chrome-linux.zip
                    mv NEW CURRENT
            fi
    fi

cd $STARTDIR
    echo "\nDONE";

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Mine is much less fancy, with no error/version checks - I know exactly what environment my script is running in so I don't need those.

The script you posted seems to download and extract Chromium to the desktop. It should work well, just modify the INSTALLDIR variable from $HOME/Desktop to point to where you want Chromium extracted.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

A question: How's Chromium related to OP's questions?
    Mrk

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's get back on the thread topic please. If a browser discussion is needed, start a separate thread. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.