ctrl - alt - del Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

All of a sudden, I notice that I can't access task manager using the standard method. I was thinking I might have a virus of some kind that disabled it, but I have scanned the computer and everything looks clean. I can open up task manager by running taskmgr.exe and I'm not seeing any unusual activity.

Any thoughts as to why ctrl-alt-del isn't working? I guess it could be a keyboard problem, but I can use the ctrl and del keys in certain programs and they seem to be working normally. (Not sure how to test the alt key)

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I had this issue in a domain environment. The PC wasnt authenticating correctly against the domain. All I had to do was remove it from the domain, restart, and readd it.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Sorry - not sure I understand your response. This is a computer on a home network. Are you suggesting I should remove it from the network and then re-add it? If yes, how would I do that?

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks, I read the thread - it reminded it that it might be as simple as a bad keyboard. And that's what it was - One of the alt keys isnt working. It's an old laptop - something I can live with.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It's actually more efficient to access Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc or by right clicking on the taskbar and clicking "Task Manager" (or "Start Task Manager", depending on your version of Windows). This obviously doesn't solve the original problem but since most of the people I talk to that are not computer savvy are not aware of these options I thought it might be helpful to someone.

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

It was helpful to me - thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.