CSS knowledgeable people, could you help?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello dear friends,

I've been running Wordpress locally in one of my computers, for the sole purpose of placing my notes in an offline blog, rather than just be writing them down in powerpoint, etc., because I wanted to create categories, etc. Well, an offline blog just made all the sense, and I've accomplished to make it work.

Now, my problem is about the theme that I picked (Actually, pretty much every theme has the same problem.), which the left column (the main one, where articles are placed) is just too small, considering I plan to add images I'm creating.

Unfortunately, and mostly because I can't afford to learn extra stuff right now, I have no single knowledge about CSS. So, I'm asking if any of you could give me a hand here.

The theme I've chosen is i2theme (http://www.mangoorange.com/resources/i2theme/). From the image, I believe that it was the one I was looking for, considering that it seemed to have a very large space to write and place big images. I was wrong.

This is the style.css code

For me, to try and see what could work out (If I was lucky enough!) would be like looking for a needle... you know the rest. :(

So, if any of you could help me out... I'd be so thankful.

Thank you

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, I'm flying blind here because I can't run the theme, but a quick peek at the CSS tells me that the #wrapper width is set at 770 px and perhaps this is why it's small. Try it at 1000 px and see if it expands the entire page content. It might break other areas so be on the lookout for that. You can always return to the default width.

To add to StevieO's suggestions, a CSS Tutorial from w3schools.com.

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Code:
    /* ------------------------------------- main content area */
    #left-col {
    width: 100%   [b][color=red]<----Error here     [/b][/color]
    float: left;
    margin-top: 11px;
    }
    Can't say for sure and don't know how sensitive an error would be in this theme but you do have an error at the location above. I know errors in Firefox can cause unpredictable things at and below the point of the error.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. m00nbl00d

@ StevieO

Thank you for those links. With time, I'll be learning about about CSS. As of now, unfortunately I don't have that much time to "waste" on new learnings.

@ JRViejo

The #wrapper width resizing worked out pretty well. I would had never figured it out, since I'd believe I'd have to change values within the left column settings. I'd never reach a result on my own.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out how to enlarge a little bit the area of right side bar. All I could do so far, was to move the green circles more to the right. lol

Thank you.

@ Greg S

My guess is as wild as yours... But, I've seen other themes also having widths set in %. Is that the error, the %? Shouldn't a width be like that?

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes, width can be like that but it's looking for the end of that value but instead of a ; it's finding float which is on the next line meaning the 100% is dropped. The ; is left out causing the error. It should be
    Code:
    /* ------------------------------------- main content area */
    #left-col {
    width: 100%;
    float: left;
    margin-top: 11px;
    }

7. m00nbl00d

I see. I believe I was the one letting it like, after trying to change the width of the left column, to see if it would enlarge it.

I'll put it back.

Thank you.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, you're welcome!

I believe, and again flying blind, that #sidebar-right is what you are looking for, and that width is set at 210 px. Try setting it at 250 px and see what it does. The #left-col should shrink a bit as well, since at 100% width, its inherent liquid design will adapt, based on #sidebar-right's width. Depending on your monitor's display resolution (mine is at 1440 x 900 - HD LCD Wide Screen monitor), you could compensate by resizing #wrapper a bit more.

9. m00nbl00d

That's what I had done. All it did was to move the green circle in the sidebars more to the right. No biggie. Was just so that the text would be more extended, but is ok.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, sounds like you are on your way; making the theme work the way you want it. Take care.

11. m00nbl00d

Yes, and the more I mess with it, the more I understand CSS just a bit. With time I'll learn more about it. It never hurts to know just a little something more. ;)

Thank you for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.