CryptoSuite & CD's Question

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by worldcitizen, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

When I 1st bought many of DCS's programs I hadn't really figured out what to do with them but slowly, 1 by 1, I'm getting around to finding out how to put them to work for me. When I 1st bought Port Explorer my 1st question was - what do I do with it UNTIL it helped me identify an infection on my PC THEN I became a 'true believer'. My AV had been disabled and I was crashing until PE pointed out to me that it was an infection.

Now I come to CryptoSuite. I've never used it. I want to but my 1st impression was - once I encrypt everything and then delete the original - how will I be able to find a file I'm looking for? Will they be in order alphabetically or will I have to look for ages to try and find something? If I can encrypt large personal folders and can access things I want without searching for long periods then I'm happy to use it. For example: I keep my software unlock keys and licenses in a special folder but when I need to install programs, like after a fresh install of windows, I need quick access and don't want to spend a lot of time searching for the licenses I need.

Next - if I encrypt a folder can I then burn it to cd for storage? Will I be able to transfer a crypto file from my cd disk to the desktop and access (with my password) just as usual or will I have trouble burning and storing a cryptofile on cd?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments very much. Also, can anyone her find out if an 'email' encryption function is in the works because sometimes I have to send information that I don't really want going astray?

Thanks

Dave

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Mis-post

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  3. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Simple. Just name the encrypted file the same as the original if you want ;).

Just create a password protected self-extracting encrypted copy of your licenses folder....I do. Then simply run the self-extracting encrypted file after fresh install etc :).

Yes.

Yep, just create a pass protected self extracting encrypted file like I mentioned before and burn to CD :). It works for me :).

I believe this has been mentioned before and Jason has taken it into consideration. For the time being, I just create a pass protected self extracting encrypted file for sensitive information, attachments etc :D..

Hope that helps,
    Jade.

4. worldcitizen

Thanks for your reply bowserman.

What I meant by being able to find a file is that say I encrypt a folder which contains 100 small notes and other files. Then when I need to find a certain file is everything arranged alphabetically or is there a search function so I don't have to manually look through a long list one by one?

Let's say I encrypt 100 software licenses in a folder called 'private'. When I open this folder and I want to find say a license for Flashget - will I be able to find it easily or will it be one big unsorted mess for me to have to scroll through and search for manually because that would not be very inviting or practical for me?

Thanks again for your reply.

Dave

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Dave.

When you encrypt anything, then unencrypt, it will be exactly the same as it was previously. Just like a zipped file.

So, if you have a series of folders or files with the name of each item in it, then put them all into one folder or simply drop each to be encrypted onto the window pane then encrypt, you simply just call it whatever you want like Jade said.

Then, later on, when you decide to unencrypt, just do so, and each item will remain the same, same order, same file names.

No different than being zipped, just that it's encrypted. :)

Cheers, TAS

6. Bowserman

Actually I think Dave means like what is shown in this screeny :):

Example...I add 20 different named files to a folder and then encrypt it with CS. Now when I decrypt that folder, I can view all the files within that encrypted folder without extracting yet (sorting them by name, folder, size, type etc - like in screenshot). Then I can extract what I want of those 20 :).

If I burnt that encrypted folder to a CD and then transferred to desktop on fresh install, I wouldn't be able to view it as it is NOT a self-extracting CS file :). What I do here Dave is have CryptoSuite and my license file ecrypted in a self-extracting pass protected CS file and extract them upon fresh install of OS and then install Cryptosuite. I then securely delete the extracted files after install. Now I can go about Decrypting CS files other than the self-extracting ones.

So the answer is yes Dave.

Best regards,
    Jade.

7. worldcitizen

Can someone please help. Something's wrong somewhere maybe with my brain but I already have ticked:

Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

And I'm still not receiving any email's of new posts!! I selected also 'instant notification' and saved everything and I checked that my email address is correct so why am I still not receiving any emails??

I came here just now and there are replies but I'm not receiving any notification. I know this is probably the wrong thread but it means I may not reply because I am unaware of your response and I think that is relative to the thread.

Dave

8. Bowserman

Not sure what is happening there Dave, but I can verify that email notification at wilders does work for me o_O . You might want to start a thread under General Topics in regards to this :).

Regards,
    Jade.

9. worldcitizen

Seems to be working now - thanks for that.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.