CryptoLocker

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by DX2, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

No defragging allowed. RBRX doesn't use the VSS.

I don't see how RBRX is a sandbox program at all.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well i hope my setip is doing its job since i have HMP scanning at every startup plus EAM real time protection.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

RB has its own built-in defragger. It will defrag selected snapshot builds - including the current one - every few Windows reboots. :thumb:

4. NormanF

It has a defragger. Its a sandbox program in the that sense everything including Windows - runs in the RB container. There is no way to really render the entire OS inoperable. That's what makes it far superior to Wimdows System Restore. :thumb:

5. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I know this thread is starting to drift off-topic, but with RBRX, how do you defrag the rest of your drive (the non-snapshot stuff)?

6. NormanF

Its not necessary! You're only running whatever snapshot is loaded and only that gets defragged. If you don't revert back or forward, you could care less if other snapshots have undergone defragmentation.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

CryptoPrevent 4.3-

Any known issues or problems on Windows XP?

How do you remove/uninstall it should that be desired or necessary?

Any real advantage/disadvantage of the installed version over the portable version?

9. kriteshHDS

kriteshHDS Registered Member

Thats right Rollback Rx has its own defrag utility that you want to run inside Rollback Rx for it to be effective.

10. NormanF

Just remove it through Windows Programs Add/Remove.

Neither - basically CP writes software restriction policies to the Data% folder in Windows preventing CryptoLocker from executing there - since that's where the malware is known to install. Prevention is worth the cure. :thumb:

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

By chance, are you currently using CryptoPrevent? Once you install it, how do you access the settings again -- is there a desktop shortcut?

12. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

You can access it by looking in All Programs or in your C: Programs Files folder, it is under Foolish IT. You can make a desktop icon if you choose.

Before you uninstall you must open the program and click the box that says UNDO, this undo's the protection, hooks etc. you may have to reboot. Then uninstall using control panel.

13. topo

topo Registered Member

digmor, i have 3 xp machines with cryptoprevent installed on all. foolish it is not listed in program files or add/remove on all 3 machines. anyone else seeing this or do i need to do a reinstall? thanks

14. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

15. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Foolish IT is in my C:program Files (x86) folder. It may be found somewhere else in your computer but it should be there somewhere. I also have it in the Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. I have included a screen shot of what comes up when I open Cryptoprevent. If you click on ok it will take you to the program gui.

Attached Files:

16. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have it installed on W7 and it does not show up in Program Files or Control Panel/Programs either. This is because I extracted it to a folder outside Program Files. This is not recommended but this is how I prefer to install some apps.

You may have installed it in your documents folder in by mistake, check there. You really do not have to re-install it as long as you can open the GUI when you double click on the extracted application file.

17. topo

topo Registered Member

emmjay, i installed cryptoprevent back in sept or oct 13. i have cryptoprevent folder on my desktop. i installed so long ago i don't remember seeing any reccommended installation guide and i don't remember how/why its on my desktop. you say its not reccommended. is there a correct way to install? thanks

18. NormanF

Install to the default x86 folder. Be aware that once you write the SRP, you'll need to reboot to allow them to take efect. :thumb:

19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Time to re-install. Delete the folder that you currently have on your desktop and erase it from the recycle bin.

After you extract the files you will get a popup asking you where you want to install the application (yours must be defaulting to your desktop). Over type the folder names so it goes to Program Files/Cryptoprevent. Install, then reboot. It will then auto show up in the Control panel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  20. siljaline

BitCrypt Ransomware Easily Broken
    http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/37119/bitcrypt-ransomware-easily-broken/

21. siljaline

Two in five Brits cough up for CryptoLocker ransomware's demands
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/28/cryptolocker_victims_pay_up_survey/

22. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

This Brit wouldn't !
    It would be far cheaper to reimage or reinstall the OS should anyone get infected with ransom ware, rather than cough up to these morons, plus having a back up of all your files makes their demands useless.
    It's also a matter of principle.
    Having said that according to the article above, there seems to be a lot of inept/naive people around who do not take their online security seriously enough.

23. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

For anyone running Bitdefender PRIOR to infection and are fully updated regularly rest assured your protected from this threat.

24. siljaline

CyberLocker's success will fuel future copycats
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/030514-cyberlocker39s-success-will-fuel-future-279437.html

25. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Just seen this. This seems like it could be just 'orthodox' CryptoLocker, as they seem to only cite one case of files not being unlocked after payment?
    http://i-hls.com/2014/03/virus-taking-israel/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.