CryptoLocker

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by DX2, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have just found out, that UAC will not protect you against it unless your files are in a protected folder like ProgramFiles. I moved my backups accordingly. :)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Can't you just change security permissions in folder properties?

3. guest

guest Guest

This. :thumb:

Although UAC still won't do much. Once you elevate a program it can do anything it wants.

P.S.: There are some default folders which will give you error warnings when changing permissions in ACL, like "My Documents" for example. It's better to create a new folder, messing around with permissions setting, then once it's all set, move your files to that folder.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is not as simple as it sounds. I have had my share of headaches due to changing permissions, never again. Anyway Windows will protect ProgramFiles until the last breath.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

6. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Really disconcerting, the idea of having your system and data ripped from your control and held for ransom. Just added CryptoPrevent to my systems today. I also need to implement consistent and regular system backups.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Related Topic.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

There is also ShadowExplorer to aid in repairing damage caused by CryptoLocker:
    http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

11. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Re: CryptoPrevent

I tried CP but the test only said it was working with AppGuard on. With AG off the test failed..at least that is how i saw it..

12. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I installed it last Friday. On Monday nite I was about to reinstall Sandboxie, the installer would initialize but failed to open or run. No errors, or error messages showed on screen. However, in event viewer 'application', I saw an error which stated that sandboxie.exe was restricted by administrator because of a policy rule. I am admin of my system(s) and I made no such rule. I checked to determine if my AV, or firewall, had gone behind my back with some admin chores of their own. I found nothing, and disabling each one was no help. So I then tried to update my Firefox browser to v25. No go there either. Long story short, I discovered CryptoPrevent when 'block' is initiated institutes SRP policies that override the administrator's rights, and was blocking the installers for certain programs from running, until I undid the block.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Re: CryptoPrevent

I would be careful applying this happily as it may break the installation or operation of software needing access to those parts of the system (and judging from the area been locked many security tools will be affected). ;)

Better to use Brain 2.0 if you can...

14. Reality

Reality Registered Member

When I first read this thread, the info from some of the links gave the file types that were affected and my understanding was that it wasn't system files like OS and programmes. Now it appears from a recent link programs are affected too. So the question is, is this thing morphing into something worse as time goes by?

15. fax

fax Registered Member

There must be some confusion, the OS issues or program non functioning correctly are linked to a tool been developed to prevent the infections not the malware itself... :)

16. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Business back ups won't mean much when they put a 3 week, 1 month, 2 month "timer" into it.

17. tgell

tgell Registered Member

A poster at bleeping computer stated that a new variant erases all shadow copies.

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/11/how-to-avoid-cryptolocker-ransomware/

19. Reality

Im aware that using the CryptoPrevent blocking tool can cause issues with some programmes opening but Im not talking about that, but the conflicting reports between computergeeksonline and other reports, 2 of which Ive listed here which dont list executables. (Bold emphasis mine)

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

21. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Does Sandboxie or DefenseWall prevent the encryption of files by the Cryptolocker .exe?

22. aztony

aztony Registered Member

About 15 mins ago I went to foolishit.com to update CryptoPrevent to its latest release. Once on the website, the text on the webpage kept zooming from normal to fill the whole screen (which wreaked havoc with my eyes). When I scolled down to the end of the page and clicked on the link to download I ended up on Hitman Pro site. I closed that webpage and went back on CryptoPrevent page tried the download link again. I was again sent to another website of different utility. I glanced at my system tray and saw the icon for my AV showing it had shut down and I quickly killed IE in the task manager. Once off the site the AV icon returned to normal. I downloaded the update from majorgeeks instead, and I am now running a MBAM scan on the PC. Don't what that was all about but I thought I spread a word of caution.

23. Reality

Thanks Stapp. I couldn't remember what that site was but now Ive bookmarked it.

Aztony that sounds weird. Wonder what that was all about.

24. guest

guest Guest

I believe Sandboxie can be configured to block access to your file folders. Plus it should virtualize the files by default. No idea about DefenseWall. AppGuard seems to be able to block access as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

25. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I assume NVT ERP and AppGuard used together (both in Lockdown mode) would prevent this as well. Right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.