Critical Update Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I was informed by Windows Update that I needed to install MSXML 4.0 as a critical update on my WINME system. This was after a reinstall of my OS.

So I clicked to install and it took about 15 mins to download, then the install process ran and I rebooted as instructed.

Then I went back to Windows Update for another scan.

It then told me I needed the same critical update. So I clicked to install again. This time it did the download in seconds... the blue boxes obviously overwriting the first download very quickly from the cache.

Anyway... same thing happened... reboot... rescan... same update coming up as still required.

So I then cleared my temp. int. files and tried again... guess what... same result. So has anyone got an idea why this is happening. Why is the update being installed but then not being recognised as such on the next scan.

I can't ever remember this happening with any updates before.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. zarzenz

Thanks Ron,

Actually this is very interesting. To be honest the problem I have outlined above is not the same as this thread is talking about. But what is interesting to me about that discussion is that I also got the 2 other critical updates mentioned... and they worked fine... but I then noticed that one of them... KB891711... placed an entry in my startups which I was a bit concerned about. I've never seen an update need to lauch an .exe like that on startup before. I didn't realise there were problems with some folks systems with this update... I seem to be ok so far with that one, but I'm still not happy about the startup.

So I still have my MSXML 4.0 not being installed, and now there is the KB891711 issue to think more about as well.

Wow... the joys of MS and all these patches... what a game.

Thanks for the link... it was useful and shows something is going on with the updates at present on older systems... maybe MS are trying to kill off all the older systems.

Sorry Bill... I know you wouldn't ever think up such a plan just to get us 98/ME users to upgrade like that. :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. zarzenz

Cheers Ron,

I went to look and there does seem to be threads on the very same subject. I did a search and got results showing problems with the XML thing.

Only problem... the windows are impossible to read... they are too compacted and I can't seem to find any way to open them up to read the actual posts.

Maybe I'll pop back later and have another try... but it does show that my problem is known about... just gotta figure a way to get at the info now.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW... as I speak... Windows Auto Update kicked in to tell me once again that I need this MSXML again... very good of it... but if only it would now do its job and actually install it then everything would be fine.

Actually... it is downloading the whole thing again... I'm 96% done now. So in a minute I'll have it finished and will then see if it works via the auto route. I'm almost thinking it might coz the update is fully downloading again, which is interestingly different to before when it was being cached.

Ok... the download has just finished so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reboot now as it hasn't actually told me anything yet to confirm it. I don't normally use Auto Update so I'm kinda into new territory here with this now.

I'll just reboot and see what happens and then recheck manually and report back in a few minutes.

All good stuff to play an afternoon with. :)

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

zarzenz

If you have actual Usenet access, it is much easier. Web based groups are difficult to thread through.

7. zarzenz

Flippin heck,

Wouldn't you just know it. I managed to install it fine again from the Auto Update icon... did the required restart... and blow me down... went back for another scan and yep... you guessed it... it still says I need this blasted XML 4.0.

Wow... Microsoft... what you trying to do to me... drive me nuts or something. I get really annoyed with this sort of madness but am kinda keeping it all in perspective... just gotta figure a way to read that newsgroup page properly now to see if a fix is explained... probably gotta do some dll delete or similar somewhere.

8. zarzenz

Ok... well it did allow me to sign in with my hotmail net passport, but it still was far too compacted to be any use to see much.

I'll have a nice cuppa tea in a moment and then give it another bash.

Thanks loads Ron... you have helped me get this far... cheers.

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If return visits are "downloading" almost immediately, you're probably getting the same thing as I did with that KB891711 -- it's already been downloaded but just won't install (corrupted copy, maybe?).

Try clicking on the "more info" link to get to the security bulletin on it. The bulletin should include a download link which takes you to the Download Center, not back to Win Update, and that's how I finally got 891711 successfully installed.

10. zarzenz

Thanks Mike,

Ok, I could try that.

I got no problem with the KB891711 update, apart from my concern that it is now running as a program. It's shown in the process list and is listed with a module in the Kernel32.dll. So not sure why this needs to running like that from a security update... but there it is... running.

Anyway... no... my main concern in this thread is my non-installation of this MSXML update. But I will follow your suggestion now to see if it can be obtained via the download centre... it may just do the trick... cheers.

11. zarzenz

I tried it... got the direct download from the centre... saved it to my computer in the normal way... installed it, which was a few seconds of extraction.

Rebooted... rechecked the update site... and bang... it still says I need this update. This is crazy. The update site refuses to accept that this patch has been run, both automatically and now manually.

I'm now waiting a reply from MS Support. Maybe they will have the answer.

Probably won't get a response til at least Monday, so if anyone else has had this problem and knows the fix... I'd sure like to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.