Creating Partitons

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jleroyce, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jleroyce

jleroyce Registered Member

Hello.

I just purchased the TI9 and I was wondering how should create partitions while cloning. I plan on using my 30GB hard drive for backups and use my new 160GB hard drive as the master. I would like to create to partitions to save music and movies to. As a side note I have already cloned my 30GB hard drive onto my 160GB drive. I am planning on doing a reclone since I did not destroy my old hard drive data. Thanks. JL

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I am not sure that I fully understand what you want to do. If you want to create a new partition on one of your drives it can be done using TI and then Windows disk management. This method avoids having to use a dedicated partition management tool.

First you need to create some some unallocated space on the target drive where you want to create a new partition.
    The way to do it is to take unused space from existing partitions and use it to create a temporary TI secure zone. Once done delete the secure zone using the same Manage Secure Zone wizard.
    This will leave the required space as unallocated on the target drive. The final step is to open the Windows Disk Management tool and create the partition you need from the newly created unallocated space.
    This is the cheapskate way way of making a new partition without a partitioning program.

Xpilot

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there Xpilot,

I think you'll find that removing the Secure Zone via Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard will merely allocate the space back to the partition it was taken from. To end up with unallocated space one needs to delete the Secure Zone using the Windows Disk Management tool.

Regards

4. jleroyce

So can I reclone my hard drive and when I do this how do I do it.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Thanks for the correction. You are of course absolutely on the ball as usual.[​IMG]

Xpilot

6. dld

dld Registered Member

I have difficulty understanding what you are trying to do. You have cloned a 30GB HD to a 160GB HD. In this cloning operation, did you choose to automatically expand the existing partition(s) to fit the 160GB drive?

This 160GB drive is now the Master drive, or at least it is your intention to set it up as your Master drive. I am not clear on what you mean by recloning the 30GB drive. Could you explain what you mean by this?

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would suggest looking at Acronis Disk Director. Made by the same company that makes Acronis True Image - which hopefully means that the two programs will not fight with each other. Anyway it has worked for me - allowing me to make, merg, delete partitions etc

8. jleroyce

Yes I automatically expanded the partitions to fit the 160GB drive. My intentions are to do it over and make partitions for back up and movie and music files. Or can I back up on my 30GB drive. I would use the 30GB drive for backups only I believe I do this by making an image file. But I still want to do a reclone and make partitions. So how do I do this.

9. dld

dld Registered Member

As far as creating additional partitions on your 160GB drive, the simplest way would be to follow Long View's advice in Post #7 of this thread and get yourself Acronis Disk Director Suite. Otherwise follow the roundabout way of creating a partition as described by Xpilot in this thread. I any case I fail to see how you could create partitions on the 160GB drive by cloning once again your 30GB drive to your 160GB drive. You can expand existing partitions to fill unallocated space on the target disk, but you can't create new partitions on the target disk.

I would strongly advise you to create your system images on your 30GB drive which you could set up as slave.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Assuming that the cloning process has been carried out as it should have (not letting Windows see both drives on first boot after cloning) I would connect the 160 GB clone with proportionally expanded partitions as master and make certain that Windows repeatedly boots from it and everything works fine.

I would then install the 30 GB as slave and format it. I would create an entire disk image of the 160 storing it on the 30. I would use that image to restore some selected partition(s) on the 160, resizing it/them down so as to generate unallocated space(s) where the additional partition(s) would next be created using Windows Disk Management.

I have used this method for creating an additional partition twice with success. True Image can do it nicely.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  11. jleroyce

So is it possible for mr to just reclone the 30GB drive onto the 160GB drive and set allocations for making partitions? IF so how should this be done? I guess that is my question.

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No need to clone again jleroyce,

You stated above that you have cloned with (proportinally?) expanded partitions already. The procedure I propose takes on from there, using the 160 GB clone as you made it and then shrinking some existing (expanded) partitions to create unallocated space for new (additional) partition(s) to be created therein.

You can't create additional partitions within the cloning process itself, if that's what you mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.