Creating image using boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mal_t, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Does it make any difference when creating an image whether it's created from ATI within Windows, or from using an ATI boot disk. I've never tried using a boot disk to create an image, was just wondering if it's a safer bet, with all MS processes and possibly any other installed programs not running in the background? Also, is it any slower creating an image using a boot disk?

Thanks,
    Mal

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

It depends on how well the Linux drivers on the boot disk comply with your hardware, but in the best cases the procedures started from the Rescue CD are somewhat slower then if performed from Windows.

You can create images (of the system partition too) from within Windows without any concern. The open files are taken care of by the TI engine and the imaging is performed without errors. Most of us do it all the time - some users even proceed with their work in Windows while the imaging is under way.

On the other hand, some users disable the antivirus and firewall programs before commencing the imaging from Windows and some stick to the Rescue CD, but reports on this Forum do not support the need for those precautions.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Whichever method you choose the quality of the image is the same. I have no idea which is the quickest as I always backup from within Windows. The backups run automatically from a simple schedule when I am not even present. They finish before I get back so I do not have to sit there watching paint dry!

4. TryBackup

TryBackup Registered Member

mal_t,

I have nothing to add to the above posts, but have one suggestion. You may wish to become familiar with using the boot disk for restores, in case you ever need to restore an image to a drive that does not boot into windows.

In learning how to use my external drive, I learned that the drive only got recognized by the TI Rescue boot disk, if the drive was powered up before I booted with the TI rescue boot disk. This recognition process differed from the way my external drive got recognized when I booted normally into windows. So my only suggestion is to learn how to work with the boot disk and try a restore with the boot disk so you can figure out any possible glitches before you have to use the boot disk to recover from a crisis.

5. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies, some very useful info there.

This thread is sort of related.

Cheers,
    Mal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.