Creating Image Failure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seekermeister, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekermeister

seekermeister Registered Member

I have attempted a couple of times to creat a backup image of my x64 OS from TI installed on MCE, but each attempt was quickly aborted by TI with an error dialog pointing to the log. When I select the log, the only items listed were from my previous backup of MCE a number of days ago, and nothing about this. When I selected the backup location in my file manager, all that I find is a file labeled "acronis_backup_place". What am I doing wrong? Isn't TI installed on MCE able to copy another OS's files?

2. seekermeister

I have also noticed that every time that I select any TI menu, that the same error dialog continues to pop up, plus I also checked Task Scheduling, and it listed the operations that I just attempted, despite the fact that i didn't specifically schedule anything...unless manually trying to creat a backup is considered scheduling? I could sure use some input.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

All backup tasks in TI are considered scheduled tasks even if run manually.

4. seekermeister

Thank you, that answers one question, but I'm still looking for the answer to the greater problem...is what is happening due to user error or program error?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello seekermeister,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify the exact text of the error message? Please also clarify what version and build of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. seekermeister

It seems a bit redundant, but the exact message is "Operations has completed with errors. Please, see log for more details." With buttons for "OK" and "See log ". Press the latter, and the Log Viewer appears, but only with entries for the last sucessful backup on Sept 14...nothing about the current failure. The version is TI 10.0 and the build is 4942.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just a guess but it sounds like you are trying to back up a 64 bit OS from the 32 bit TI installed on MCE. If so, could be that the 32 bit TI doesn't understand the 64 bit structures although you would think NTFS is NTFS but isn't there some special additional partition requirments for X64.

8. seekermeister

That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I thought that it might work because of some responses that I got regarding this in the DDS forum, which implied that it would (might) work.

If this won't work, is there any method that would? Obviously, since x64 won't boot, I can't do it there. I don't know anything about anything special with the partition requirement, though the file directory structure differs. I want to extract the files and folders only, without any file system data, to attempt to recover them to a new drive and partition, in hopes of fixing the booting issue. I have already tried just about every conventional means of fixing the OS, but failed. My thinking is that since TI can creat a file system and a new MBR and track 0, that this might work.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  9. Acronis Support

Hello seekermeister,

Could you please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Churkin

10. seekermeister

It doesn't look as though anyone else has any ideas, I hope that your people do.

11. seekermeister

It's worse than I thought. I just tried to creat the backup image of MCE, like I had already done before, as a test, and it failed exactly the same as I described above. I had been thinking that the problem was because of something in x64, but it doesn't seem to make any difference which OS I try. Does this mean that I need to reinstall TI or what? If I do have to reinstall TI, does that effect the current backup image stored on a harddrive?

12. seekermeister

I thought that I would try something different, and move the good backup image to a different location, so to see if the location itself is the problem. I only drug the file from one location to another, which should have only left it in the new location, but I ended up with a copy in both locations. There are also 2 files labled 8A02E800-11B311B3_Backup, along with the one called acronis_backup_place. What are these files for? Since the latter is created when creating the backup location itself, I'm assuming that it should stay where it is, but what about the other two? Something else that seems odd, is that the new backup image shows as nonfragmented in the defragmenter, unlike the original that appears as 100% fragmented. I assume that is due to the copy process, but since I was advised not to defrag the original, will this effect the copy?

I'm getting a bit lonely in here, anyone else around?

13. seekforever

Don't know about the other 2 files since I am at TI9.

The (de)fragmentation is not an issue. TI tib files are just files albeit usually very large ones. The copy command as you suspect probably copied the file into a large unallocated area and was able to make it contiguous (unfragmented).

TI archive files can be defragmented but the feeling is that it isn't worth the time and risk. The risk is low but anytime you are shuffling a large amount of data there is a chance an error could occur. TI archive files are rarely used and often never used - quite different from some OS files that are accessed many times per session. They also are involved in operations taking several minutes so what is the point in optimizing the access to gain a saving of a few seconds.

If you want to see if your defragged copy is identical to your original, run a checksum calculator like XCSC free.

14. seekermeister

That's curious, are you saying that with TI9 that there are no extra files other than the acronis_backup_place and the tib? I thought that the basic functions of both versions were the same. I'm wondering if they are necessary or just extra baggage? I know what checksums are about, but haven't gotten into that much. I'll look into the calculator.

15. seekermeister

That's an interesting gadget. All three numbers came out identical, so I guess that means that since the original worked, that the copy will also. I just wished that I knew what to do with those two extra files? As far as that goes, should I copy the acronis_backup_place file also?

16. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

TI9 does not have the Backup Locations feature. This feature was introduced in V10.

17. seekforever

As thomasjk says, it isn't in TI9 so I don't know. However, I would say they have to do with the configuration and administration of the Backup Place. TI tib files that are stored in non-TI administered locations such as Backup Places and the Secure Zone do not need any extra information so I'm sure the ones copied to a regular folder would be fine

I don't know the format of those files but if they are regular text files you could open them with Notepad or WordPad and see what they contain. If they are binary, you may have a lot more trouble interpreting the contents but sometimes there is enough text in them to give you a clue to their purpose.

18. Acronis Support

Hello all,

This issue is not related to the x64 and x32 Windows versions differences for sure since both of them use the standard Microsoft NTFS file system which is fully supported by Acronis True Image products line.

to seekermeister
    Regarding the original issue: it is not possible to investigate such an issue without having some diagnostic information from your system. In order to start with this problem investigation we need this information. Therefore please download the Acronis Report utility and run it to create the report file as described in the Acronis Help Post. Also please save the Windows System Information to a file (the instructions are in the same Acronis Help Post). Then please submit a request for technical support. Attach both files to your request along with the description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and definitely will provide you with a solution.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

19. seekermeister

I've already done that, it's Acronis #1177251.

20. seekermeister

The files have no extensions, and when opening them in EditPad, all that they contain is a single line of squares zeros, like is often seen in binaries, but no text. I'm not a programmer, so I do not know the meaning of these...or do they have any meaning?

21. seekermeister

I have a copy of TI9 in my archive, that I downloaded to tryout before buying TI10. Can I install it, without it effecting the installation of TI10? Would the TI10 serial number work for TI9 also?

I'm thinking that if TI9 didn't even have a backup locations "feature", that I'm not sure of what advantage that it offers?

22. seekforever

Probably have a meaning but only to the program made to read the files, meaningless to us mortals.

23. seekforever

If you have a trial version of TI9 you can use it but TI trial versions are not hobbled versions which are unlocked with the serial number. The Windows portion provides all the features for 30 days. The boot CD it creates will only restore an archive, it will not create one. The TI10 key which probably wouldn't work anyway is irrelevant.

I don't think TI9 and TI10 should be installed together but I'm not totally sure. I wouldn't do it because of the way TI installs special devices in your Windows.

Backup Locations provide a way of automatically managing your backups for things such as number to be kept etc. You do not need to put the archive in such a place. Many of us just create archives to regular folders and manage them with Windows Explorer.

24. seekermeister

Hmm, if it may do harm to install TI9 and TI10 at the same time, what about TI11? I'm about half done downloading it, but I do not want to uninstall TI10 to try it out. The only thing that interests me about TI11 is the Try and Decide feature. I like the idea, but it's not important enough to wreck havoc with what I have.

As far as the automation of backups, that may become important in the future, but right now I have disabled those features anyway. I have a tendency to prefer to do things myself.

25. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You really don't want to try to have two installations at once. In fact, it is usually better to not even install on version over another but tounisntall the one before installing the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.