Creating bootable media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timmy, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmy

timmy Registered Member

The program (v10) offers two choices, "safe" and "full" at 16 and 43 megaunits respectively. Don't know if this implies that the full version is somehow UNsafe? Anyway, we tried to make the full version, but all that comes out is the 16 (and not 43) megaunit file. Tried numerous times, making sure that the right boxes were checked. Is this a bug in the program?

2. mvincent

mvincent Registered Member

You want the full version which includes the "safe mode" that does not have USB/SCSI drivers on it.

I had some issues creating this as well. If you make a CD it does not seem to have all the files. So I did this. Create the meadia on a USB key and then make an ISO of that. That worked for me.

3. timmy

timmy Registered Member

So there is a problem them. What is a "USB key" and where would I find it? I DO want the "full" (43megaunit) backup disk, but can't get it. This would appear to be a SERIOUS issue if it turns out that it's not just me.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I would think that the "safe" term has been used according to Windows terminology, where a safe boot starts only a limited number of services/processes that are necessary for the basic functioning of the OS. The full version of TI is not unsafe, albeit some components included in it may cause issues on some setups. In this case, trying to run the safe version is recommended. Same as for Windows.

From TI9 experience only, I would suggest you include both versions on the Rescue CD. First, because you may need any one, and then because that may solve your CD creation problem.

5. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Oh I see yes thanks, now I understand about "safe." And I WOULD like to include both the safe and the full on the boot disk, except the Acronis True Image 10 won't let me. All it will give you is the smaller, safe version, no matter which boxes you check. I would say this is a serious deficiency in the program, assuming it's not just me, and I don't think it is.

This too: I went ahead and made a boot disk using the safe format. But the computer won't recognize it. I set the machine to boot first from a CD, but it still won't start from the CD. The other fellow said to first make the info on the CD an "ISO" so I went ahead and made a second CD doing that. But it still would not work. This is all very confusing.

How do you make a CD that is "bootable"? What do you need to do to make it thus?

6. mvincent

mvincent Registered Member

...OK. There is sn issue with the bootable media TI creates for CD/DVD in the fact that IT IS NOT BOOTABLE!

Here is what you do....

1. Use a USB thumb drive to make the media bootable by selecting that as the option in Acronis. (memory stick, usb key etc whatever you want to call it)

2. you will notice that you now have all the Linux files on the USB drive that are needed to boot. I would personally use this as drivers are updated often and you may need to update this....however now you can get these files to CD

Use a program like WinISO or WinIMAGE to create an ISO if you dont know how to do this with your burning software.

3. Make an ISO of the thumb drive with all the necessary files

4. Burn that ISO back to a CD/DVD and wallah. You boot

Kind of silly for a program that should do all that for you but oh well. At least you get an answer from someone on this damn forum since I think Tech Support is sleeping :isay:

Oh and BTW, SAFE MODE = NO SCSI or USB DRIVERS. Full version is what you almost always want to use

---MV

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

With Roxio Easy Media Creator you would just double-click the .ISO file created by TI and step through the wizard.

If you have some other burning software others will help.

8. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Well I followed all instructions. Used a "thumb drive" as the place to put the files created by the media builder. Then copied the info from the thumb drive, which still was only 16 mega units and not 43, to a cd, actually two cds, one just regular and the other as "iso." And neither of them would boot. So far I have used and discarded a dozen CDs in this impossible project. It is not going to work.

Sooo, this is what I did. Remembering that I had created a bootable meadia CD from the previous (v.9) edition of the True Image, I used THAT to boot...and it worked perfectly. I then removed the version 10 completely (I hope I got it all off!) from the computer, and have re-installed the old version 9.

On the face of it, this is a disgraceful situation from the manufacturer. They plainly state:

This wizard will help you to create bootable media for Acronis products (or their specific components) installed on your computer. When your computer cannot boot normally, you can run the product from this CD.

Well that appears to be totally untrue. And nobody seems to have noticed it except us. You have said above that it is NOT bootable. Yet the instructions say "create BOOTABLE media." And no mention of first having to copy it to a thumb drive, then making an iso of that, then on your own and not using their wizard at all you somethow copy that to the CD...all these complicated extra steps which they don't mention, and which in any event don't seem to work anyhow, at least they didn't in this house. How can all this go unremarked upon both by the manufacturer and by presumably hundreds and maybe thousands of users?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  9. timmy

timmy Registered Member

3. Make an ISO of the thumb drive with all the necessary files

4. Burn that ISO back to a CD/DVD and wallah. You boot.

Step 4 am not sure how to do it? Do I just copy the entire ISO file to a CD? I tried that already, and it still would not boot. Or do you have to do something else other than just copy and paste the ISO file?

Another curious thing I have noticed is that the copied items total only 15 mega units, but if you check the "properties" it says "46"? Yet if you recheck the actual items, count them, and also look at the tool bar at the bottom where it shows the total file size, it says "15" ..and you also count 15, and NOT 46. Yet the program poperties say 46. Impossible, but true. Does anybody know how this can be?

10. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

An ISO file is one that can be burned to a CD using burner software. NOTE: It cannot be burned as a data cd. Look for the "Burn using an .iso image file" feature of the software.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

timmy,

It's hard to believe to be a general bug. This place would be swarming with complaints if it were. The Rescue CD burning is something every sensible user does upon first launching TI after installation.

In my opinion it's either a single case issue (a corrupted download/installation or an incompatibility with your system) or some error made in burning the .ISO file. I would suggest you tell which burning software you use to receive detailed instructions on how to burn the bootable CD from those who also use it.

In the meantime you may want to uninstall TI and install it again. That often does wonders.

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The method I use to make TI rescue CDs is simplicity itself. It has worked for all builds of Version 8 Version 9 and now the latest Version 10.
    I open the CD drawer and put a blank CD-R in the tray and leave it open. I then start the Create bootable rescue media wizard. I tick all the boxes and point to the CD/RW drive. When I press the proceed button the drawer closes and the CD is burned .

I always use a fresh CD-R because I like to keep a copy of one for each build. I do not close the drawer before TI is ready. If the drawer is closed early any other installed CD software will invisibly reserve the drive and the TI software may not be able to complete it's own process.

Never used ISOs or any third party software to make a bootable rescue CD.

Xpilot

13. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

OK, I'm pretty confused now. Despite some bugs, I have always been able to make a bootable TI Rescue CD, and still can with version 10.

My confusion is over whether or not I'm getting all of the necessary files copied over to the CD with version 10 Home.

I have burnt two Rescue CD's, choosing just the "Full" version option. The program tells me it will take around 35Mb. I get 16Mb on the CD and it does boot and appears to work?

I use the ISO option and choose both "Full" and "Safe" and the program tells me it will take around 47Mb. I create the .iso file and get 16.8Mb? Extracted, the files are around 16Mb, same as the CD's which I only chose "Full" to make. Maybe "Full" contains both, but I believe I do not get an option to boot "Safe" from it.

So, are my Rescue CD's OK? Is 16Mb on the bootable Rescue CD correct?

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

16 MB on the rescue cd is correct. The main folder contains 7 files and that is it.

When you boot from it you will get the choices menu ie. safe or full. You have not been short changed !

Xpilot

15. timmy

timmy Registered Member

We still are unable, despite following all instructions carefully, to get the boot cd to work (ie: boot, it just is not recognized by the computer). But...we have a boot cd we made from the older version 9, and that does work. Question: Can we use the boot cd from ver. 9 with the new ver 10? Or does each version required a separate boot cd, and one made just from it?

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello Timmy,

There has been some error in the creation of your V 10 recovery CD. The size on disk should be 16 MB not 15 MB. The size in bytes should be 16,777,216 bytes in seven files.
    Boot menu 1,853,440 Bytes on disk
    Boot wiz 22528 do.
    F11 Cfg 2048 do.
    Kernel dat 665,600 do.
    Mouse 6144 do.
    Ramdisk dat 14,202,880 do.
    Splash run 24,576 do.

You could try burning the CD once more and if that does not work a fresh download and reburn is called for.

As to using a V9 CD with a V10 backup the answer is probably. I have not tried it and if it is something you want to do check it out on your computer.

I would suggest that if you are going to do a restore that you do it to a spare drive for absolute safety. That is the way I always do my restores whatever CD or build I am using.

Xpilot

17. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Mr. Xpilot, your details instrs much appreciated. We will start over and attempt to match exactly the specs you presented and will then get back.

But this: Does the boot CD have to be "formatted" somehow? The boot Cd we made just contains a list of ithe tems. It is a "data" CD. The young fellow above said something abut data cd's not working as boot cds. What "magic" do you have to do to a cd to make it a "boot" cd?

18. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello timmy,
    I cannot advise you on using third party or Iso methods to make a bootable cd because I only have used the Arconis wizard for this function.

How I do it is detailed in my post No. 12 above.

Xpilot

19. timmy

timmy Registered Member

The method I use to make TI rescue CDs is simplicity itself. It has worked for all builds of Version 8 Version 9 and now the latest Version 10.
    I open the CD drawer and put a blank CD-R in the tray and leave it open. I then start the Create bootable rescue media wizard. I tick all the boxes and point to the CD/RW drive. When I press the proceed button the drawer closes and the CD is burned.

Well yes, we did that too. Just followed the obvious steps. Except it would not work. We were of course careful to set the bios so that the machine would boot first from the CD. Still no go.

Right now we are removing v9 and reinstalling v10 and will start the whole business all over again. Perhaps a trip to church might help, will say a pray to Our Lady of Guadalupe, who sometimes offers miracles.

20. como

como Registered Member

Be aware that the main files on the rescue cd are Linux, Windows will not be able to see them.

This could be the reason why you can see only 16+ mg and not the 47 mg quoted above

21. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Ah most interesting. Am not sure what linux is but that would explain the deeep mystery why the "properties" says 47 but when you open the folder, all that's contained within is 15 or 16. Do you need "linux"?

22. como

como Registered Member

Linux is a open source operating system, google it for more information

You do not need Linux on your machine to run TI

23. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Alright, finally got it working, thanks to all of you and to Divine Intervention.

To Mr. Xpilot: We did get the exact seven files you mentioned. Many thanks! The "sizes" do not match, (examples: you got 1853, we got 1810; you got 665, we got 650, and so on; none of them are the same but it still seems to work anyhow. Not sure what "DO" means (it appears after each of your figures) perhaps that explains the difference? Anyhow, would not have had the courage to proceed without your asst. And most grateful to Mr. Como for explanation of why 47 only showed up as 16. Would have gone thru all eternity wondering about that had he not revealed the secret.

Mr. Vincent above had said that using the wizard would give you a disk that was "NOT BOOTABLE!"

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  24. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

Thanks to all. I've learned a lot, especially that Linux files do not appear in Windows. Makes sense, but never thought of it.

I have never used TI to burn directly to CD-R or DVD-R, although I use to do that with Ghost. It does not appear that option exists using the Rescue CD, is that correct?

For that matter, the Rescue CD doesn't appear to see my optical drive(s), at least on the IBM laptop I'm working at. I sure don't think that's right, is it?

I'll try at home tonight on other systems.

25. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi jimshu1,

TI has been able to create an image to CD-R/RW from within the Linux based boot rescue environment for quite a few versions now. However, only since TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 have you been able to image direct to DVD from the rescue environment.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.