Creating bootable disc

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peterpicthall, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the trial version of Acronis Image.

Whilst everything seems to work as described, and I think the software is what I am looking for, but when I try to create a bootable disc I get an error report indicating that a bootable disc has not been created.

When I loaded the trial software the first thing it did was get me to create a bootable disc which I now suspect is to enable a disaster recovery should one screw up whilst trying the software. Can Acronis or someone verify that this is the case and that I cannot create another bootable disc until I purchase the full software please?

I guess this is my final question before I purchase a full version.

Regards Pickers

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello peterpicthall,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know the exact error message you get? Please try to use the next tips to solve your problems:
    - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update third party CD writing software if any to the latest version available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW in order to create a bootable rescue disc.

Please contact us again if this workaround doesn't help.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. bryankr

bryankr Registered Member

One thing to consider....even though I think the suggestions that ACronis teck support offered will likely work. If you purchase True Image and opt for the actuall disc instead of download, you will automatically have a rescue disc. The program disc that you will recieve is bootable.

good-luck!

bryankr

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello peterpicthall and bryankr,

I have one more thing to add, just to make this situation more clear.

Please be aware that the CD that comes with a boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0 is bootable, while the other CD that you can order as an additional option when purchasing the downloadable version of Acronis True Image 8.0 contains installation file only and is not bootable.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. bryankr

Popov,

Good job making that clear. I tried to be clear in saying actual disc (I should have said boxed version) instead of download. I could cerainly see how that could have been confused. :)

thanks,

bryankr

6. bryankr

Hi,

The reason for creating the rescue disk is not so much because you may create a need for it while installing the software, but because in a disaster situation booting to the recovery cd may be all you can do. You may not be able to boot to your hard disk normally. You can then (after changing boot order to CD first) boot to the recovery cd and from their load acronis inerface and begin restoration of your saved image. You must in all cases (as far as I understand) restore image from either boot cd or from the f11 key option during regurlar boot sequence. When you boot up normally you will see on your screen the option to press f11 key to use ACronis True image. This is true if after installing True image you set up the "ACronis Start up Manager". This is the feature that allows the option to press f11 during your normal boot sequence. It occurs on my computer right after the "splash screen" where I get the option to enter setup f2 and the option (dell computers) to enter "one time" boot sequence change by pressing f12.

7. bryankr

I indicated (as far as I know) that all images must be restored from re-boot... I had forgot about on-line images. I think that is available and may not require boot procedure. I simply use True imaga as a way to take a one time image of my computer when I have it exactly like I want it. Then I can always go back to this point. It is kind of like "out of the box" on steroids. I then keep all of my data files backed up seperatly. So I am speeking of procedures used when you have saved image to removable media such as cd and DVD. I do not have external hard drive.

Like many simple home users I have desktop and laptop with one internal hard drive in each. I just wanted a sure way of returning either computer in short order back to an excellent(hassle free) and ready to go configuration. I then can place any data files (saved seperatly) that I have later created. Or perhaps an application(cd handy) I have later started to use. True Image for me has been that perfect product. It also works well to use once a year just to put both my computers back to that lean snapy way they use to be.

I also recomend that you run defreg, scan disk, disk clean, and do a antivirus scan to include spyware before you take an image. That way you are sure you are taking a good one.

I hope more knowlegebale users will correct me if I have stated anything wrongly.

thanks again,

what a great forum :D

bryankr

8. pickers

pickers Registered Member

Once again you have provided me with a way to resolve my problem which worked first time. All I did was follow the on screen instruction to load a virgin disc at the appropriate time and "presto" I had a bootable disc.

Thank you to all concerned. I shall now buy the Acronis PC backup True Image 8 version.

I feel very confident that I now have a cost effective backup and recovery program that will do what I want it to do.

Well done to all at Acronis.

Peter Picthall a la "pickers" a la peterpicthall.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Irina,

I feel I need to point out that TI 8 no longer automatically opens the CD/DVD recorder tray. The user him/her self needs to open the tray in order to insert a disk. Therefore, the latest instructions should read:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and then open the tray manually
    - Insert a disc and then click the "Proceed" button to close the tray automatically

Kind regards
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.