Creating an image of disc

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shydragon, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shydragon

shydragon Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to this.

I've just built a new computer, installed WinXP w/sp2 and all updates. Before adding any software, I would like to make an image. Should this be done from the Windows environment, or should I be doing this in DOS mode?

Thanks,

Pat

2. dld

dld Registered Member

I normally create an image from the Windows environment. I restore the image from the Linux environment. You can restore from the Windows environment, but then TI has you reboot into the Linux environment.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I assume you are talking about doing an image backup using Acronis True Image 9--most current version.

Sometimes Windows will not work and you only means of doing a backup or restore is from the Recovery CD.

Many of my backups are done from the User Created Recovery CD. You can do backups/restores and almost anything from within the CD. By using the CD, you can confirm that Acronis sees all your hardware now before problems become an issue.

Recommend that you use another internal or external drive as your destination drive for storing your tib images.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that there is no essential difference between creating backups from under Windows and in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. The point is that Acronis True Image uses a special method of "snapshot" backup creation, it doesn't store the standalone files or directories, but saves blocks of your hard drive data, saving the information about the disk/partition geometry. It therefore can backup in "live" Windows without the need to reboot the computer. Please see this article describing how Acronis True Image works in more details.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.