Creating a system snapshot with virtual box

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ComputerSaysNo, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How do I create a system snapshot of my host OS in virtualbox? I've tried to do it but it comes up "not bootable media". So I guess I'm asking how do I clone my host OS so I can use it in virtualbox and take snapshots.

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

3. Thanks I'll take a look.

4. Nice article but it doesn't tell me how to create a virtual image of my host using virtualbox. can any one help?

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

As described in article, you should use VMware vCenter Converter to convert physical machine into VMware virtual machine ( http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/)

Then you can use Virtualbox to add that virtual machine.

I don't know if Virtualbox has a tool to convert physical machines into virtual.

6. Yup got it working thanks, downloaded the tool from softpedia :) Needed to up the RAM in virtualbox to get it working. Thanks for the article again!

7. One more problem the internet wont work on the virtual machine? Any ideas? I used Vmware's tool, converted the image but the net wont work in the virtualbox.

8. NM fixed it :thumb:

9. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

Great find! I was under the impression that VirtualBox could mount .ISO OS disk images and manage the running of the OS within as a guest OS on a virtual machine, so was wondering if any of the disk imaging software out there that can save the disk images as .ISO files would be useful in producing the disk images as the source of the guest OS to be run under VirtualBox! Can anybody confirm this? Are VMDK image files .ISO file types?

I believe I have just found the answer to the first question I asked above. If you are interested visit http://geekyprojects.com/tutorials/how-to-run-an-iso-image-file-in-virtualbox/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. What I found was that using VMware's disk image software that the VMDK image automatically saves system progress. For example you download some files in the guest VM, they are permanent unless you choose to rebuild from a snapshot. It's better than using a .ISO file because your progress is saved if using a Windows OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.