Creating a drivecrypt partition on unpartitioned space?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by svabos, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svabos

svabos Registered Member

Hi all
    I wanted to encrypt one whole non-system HDD. That HDD had one partition on it and it was set as primary partition on it. In Windows disk managed I have deleted that partition so the whole disk became unpartitioned
    In Drivecrpyt 5.4 I've selected unpartitioned disk and choose "format partition as drivecrypt" - so I haven't created partition prior to that formating
    After formating partition as drivecrypt, the disk could be read only by mounting and if i dismount it, it wouldn't show in My computer. so i mounted it and filled it with data. Now I'm concerned: when the disk is unmounted, in DC 5.4 it says "offline partition; disk 1, partition 0; unpartitioned disk"

so my question is - is it safe for data integrity to use unpartitioned disk in dsk kind of way? Should I have partitioned it first and then formatted it as drivecrypt? Is there any risk for my data?

I have windows 7 x64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.