"Creating a differential to a full partition backup" is a legacy operation?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Ben Slade, May 19, 2015.

1. Ben Slade

Ben Slade Registered Member

I'm using "Paragon Backup and Recovery 15 Home". I want to do a typical full backup then occasional incremental backups to a local/removable USB drive (I only plug it in when I'm running backups).

I'm making a full "volume" backup of my C & D drives right now. The status window says I'm running, "Backup partitions or disks to virtual containers". I assume this a sector by sector backup.

I want to run an incremental backup next (which I think I can do with this tool, even with a original full sector-by-sectore backup). In the help screen, under Creating a differential to a full partition backup, it says I must, "Enable the Legacy features view". Really? It's not part of normal current software?

Thanks in advance
    Ben

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

AFAIK, Paragon only creates images in a sector-by-sector way when the program doesn´t recognize the partition format and the user has selected to backup as "raw" as the default option in such cases, or selects this option manually in each case.

The term "differential" doesn´t appear in the current versions of HDM. Only incremental backups are available. Supposedly, certain operations are "optimized" for incremental backups.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. Ben Slade

Oh, I was getting confused between differential and incremental. I meant to say/use incremental. I'll try that.

Thanks

4. Ben Slade

Hmm, when I go to the initial menu (the menu that has colored boxes and is titled "Paragon Backup & Recovery 15 Home"), when I click on Backup to Virtual Disk, it starts the "Backup to VD Wizard".

On the next screen, the first choice is "Back up volumes" and the second choice is "Back up files". When I choose either option, then choose my disks, select "Change backup settings", then click on next, I get "Advanced backup settings", but I see no incremental options there.

Ah, I bet I have to do the "Full Scale Launcher"...

I've done that. I found "Incremental Backup to VD". That's what I needed.

I wish the incremental backup option was part of the wizard.

Also, at the end of the increment backup dialog windows it says the wizard did not "commit" changes because it works in "virtual mode". It's very confusing to use the word "virtual" for virtual disks and for pending/queued commands. Using "virtual" for pending/queued commands is also bad use of the English language. Virtual is supposed to mean a simplifying level of abstraction, not pending.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.