Create image using boot CD or within Windows.. which one more reliable ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by UCI_MECH, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UCI_MECH

UCI_MECH Registered Member

A friend told me that in order to get a reliable backup, I should create the image using the rescue boot disk (not within Windows) because this is the only way to completely lock up the HDD while TI trying to create the image.

Is that true? One of the reason I'm using TI is the ability to backup and restore within Windows.

How reliable the image created within Windows?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello UCI_MECH,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image supports creating images under Windows and also using Acronis True Image standalone version. It is up to you to decide which way is more preferable.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi UCI_MECH

Just to add to the advice provided by Andrew, be aware that the boot rescue disk can't create images direct to DVD. Check out the details here.

Regards

4. UCI_MECH

UCI_MECH Registered Member

Thank you all for your response.

If creating an image within Windows is as reliable as using the boot disk, why people go through the hassle of booting to the rescure disk? what I'm missing here?

Menorcaman,

No I don't need to backup direct to a DVD. Usually I create the image on a second HDD or over a network then I burn this image to DVDs as a backup to the original backup... I know I'm too paranoid :) but this is the only way to make sure that long time research work is safe.

5. mecalvint

mecalvint Registered Member

My 2Cents on this:

If you are as paranoid as I am about critical data, then you would image from a boot CD.

To me anyway, Windows does what it wants to, so when you image inside of it, services may not be unavailable for imaging, the CPU might be too busy doing something else rather than let TI do its stuffs, so the imaging process is definitely not as clean as from a boot CD.

And with TI 7, imaging from inside Windows includes the pagefile (rather large), which does not happen with the boot CD. TI 8 took care of this issue.

Having said that, in some cases I had no choice but use TI inside Windows for its LIVE feature.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Well...

In some particular cases (particular hardware and software configuration) Acronis True Image may fail image creation under Windows. Please realize that we cannot test all hardware and software configurations in our Testing Lab. We strongly recommend to contact support@acronis.com in these cases.

"And with TI 7, imaging from inside Windows includes the pagefile (rather large), which does not happen with the boot CD." - this is not true. Acronis True Image 7.0 does include pagefile and hibernation files even if the image creation process runs with the boot CD.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.