Create Image on Second Hard Drive (d:)?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pastork, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastork

Pastork Registered Member

I am a total newbie to Acronis True Image. I have used an older version of Norton Ghost to mirror my first hard drive (c:) to my second hard drive (d:), but when I had problems on my c: drive and tried to mirror the d: drive back to c: I couldn't do so. I got a message saying there is a corrupted partition. I also cannot boot to the second hard drive.

Being sick of Norton, I downloaded the free trial of Acronis True Image 9.0. My hope is to create a full backup (image) of my first hard disk (c: drive) on my second hard disk (d: drive), but I am no altogether certain how to go about it.

When I choose to backup "the entire disk contents or individual partitions," I then select Disk 1 [identified as "NTFS (C:)]. Then, when I click next and get to "Backup Archive Location," do I just select "Local Disk (D:)" from the tree menu on the left under "My Computer?" Will this do what I want to do?

I just want to make sure. I am hesitant to do anything I am not certain of... except for one thing... get away from Norton!

Thanks for any help you can provide. I tried searching the forum for an answer, but couldn't find one. Perhaps I wasn't using the right terms.

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Is this D:/ drive an Internal HD? If it is, then you shouldn't have any problems at all. I make TI Images to mine all the time. I renamed mine to "Storage" (pic below), and also formatted it to NTFS. In case you're wondering, Acronis will make just ONE file per backup session. It doesn't make multiple files like some programs do.

When you use the TI menu to choose your drives, you really need to know the model # of the drive you're selecting. TI will show you the model #'s it picks up. It helps to name your drives though, so you don't get them confused.
    But however, there is a screen that doesn't give you to much details except for seeing C:/ , and D:/ drives. If you haven't given them names, just click on the drives individually to make sure you selected the right one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

In addition to the comments already offered, I would strong concur with StarsFan09 regarding the need to assign unique names to your drives so you can identify them by names--not by their drive letters. Drive letters can get mixed so do not use drive letters as your criteria for backups or restores.

If you want your backup file inside a folder, create the folder prior to the backup.

When you to the point where you must identify the "Backup Archive Location", switch to the new folder on the backup drive and assign the file name as FullDisk.tib Or any other name you wish to identify the backup.

Be sure and use the option "Validate backup" either during the backup or after the backup.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

You are getting some very good responses to your posting but I can see that some questions may arise. The suggestion to rename your drives is a good one. Right-click on the C: drive and rename it. This can be almost anything but do not use Windows as this can confuse things. I use System. Since you want to create a backup image on the D: drive give it a unique name to your liking, perhaps Backup. Question: is this an internal drive or an external USB/Firewire drive? Must make sure that the operating system recognizes that drive. Within this D: drive create a folder and name it as you like. Perhaps TrueImage_Backups.

Start True Image
    Initially use only the option to do a backup. This will open the Backup Wizard. Click Next.
    The default is 'The entire disk contents or individual partition', select Next.
    Select the box 'Disk 1' click Next.
    This opens a screen called Backup Archive Location. Scroll down to locate the folder you created on the D: drive. Open that folder and accept the default or change it to use your unique file name. I use a four digit file name of mmdd.tib where mm=month and dd=day of the month. Click Next.
    You will now be presented with some options. Initially accept the default 'Create new full backup archive'. Press Next.
    Select 'Use default options'. Add any comments that you want to make and press Next.
    Click Proceed.
    This will now proceed to create an image of the C: drive and place it on your D: drive.
    Now start True Image and select 'Validate Backup Archive' from the Tools menu. Follow the prompts.

Additional Suggestions:
    Initially, until you are familiar with the program, do not use 'Manage Acronis Secure Zone' or 'Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager'. Study the User Guide and follow the suggestions on this forum first.

Best regards,
    Bruce

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.