Create Bootable Media problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rogerq, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I just upgraded to TI 10.0. I went in to create bootable rescue media. It doesn't give me the choice to slect TI 10. The only listing is for TI 9.0.3633. No listing for TI10 whatso ever unless TI 10.0 really is 9.0.3633.

What gives?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Did you do a fresh install or did you install over version 9?
    You may have to uninstall and then reinstall 10.

3. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I still haven't heard from anyone at Acronis. Can someone tell me why the create bootable media option leads me to TI 9 rather than TI 10o_O?

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Please feel free to ignore those who may try and help. Have a pleasant wait …

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Like TheWeaz suggested, I would uninstall any Acronis True Image software you have installed. And then, Reinstall V10.0.

6. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

Doesn't make sense. I've been installing upgrades over previuous versions the last two releases. Have not had this problem.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello rogerq,

Then all I can say is that you have been very lucky ;).

Start TI, click on Help > About and see what the Version and Build is. If it says True Image Home version 9.0 (build 3633) then uninstall TI via Windows Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs and reinstall TI Version 10. Reboot your system on completion.

Regards

8. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

That's why it is so confusing. TI ver 10.0 is installed. Everything says version 10.0 except when I go to make a bootable media disk. There the choice for TI is only ver 9, 9.0.3633.

TI9 shows up no where else. Control panel shows TI 10.0 bld 4871. About in the application shows TI 10.0 bld 4871. When I run a backup or restore, it shows TI 10.0 bld 4871.

Only when I run the wizard to build a bootable media does ver 9.0.363 come up.

did they just leave that module unchanged and forget to update that portion of the application showing version of TI?

I've sent two messages to support and have heard nothing back other than the standard acknowledgment of receipt of message.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you normally install to a directory (folder) of your own choice or the default?

It is possible if you install TI to a different location than the default one, that somehow it has managed to install to copies of media builder and TI 10 is selecting the wrong one. That can be checked either by looking at your hardrive (natch :) ) or by looking in registry and seeing what path is under the media builder entry.

Of course if might just be possible that Acronis haven't updated this component and no one else has noticed.

Actually I've just checked that out, I now see which part you are talking about. This is from the list of installed Acronis programs. This information will be culled from registry. If you find your media builder component on your harddrive, and right click, choose properties, the version here should be correct. Which will re-inforce the probability of an incorrect path or version number being held in registry somewhere.

Colin

Attached Files:

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

11. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I found the problem. The media builder executable is version 9:

Go to common files, acronis, media builder and do a properties check and see what is the version of the executable. Mine says:9.3.0.68.

All other executables clearly say version 10.0

Does anyone have a different medialbuilder.exe version?

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Sorry rogerq, but I think you might be chasing ghosts here (of the spooky variety :) ).

The build number of media builder shouldn't have any effect on the build number of TI that it thinks it sees.

Now in your first post you mention that it tells you build 3633 of TI9 is installed, now as that wasn't/isn't the latest version of TI 9, was 3633 your real last build of TI 9?

As Sheiber says, some people have had problems with loading TI9 over itself and some people have already mentioned similar problems with 10 over 9. So as Sheiber mentions uninstalling TI10, checking that nothing of TI9 is left in registry and re-installing TI 10 (you'll need both your licence numbers if you do this) should solve your problem.

Colin

13. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

Media builder is an application included within TI. It has it's own version number too. When you run media builder to make a bootable disk, It refers to TI as ver9. The media builder executable is the only module with ver 9 in it's properties.

Even the list of installed applications says that TI 10.0 is installed.

No where else is there any reference to ver 9.

Does anyone have mediabuilder.exe with anything other than ver9 in it's properties?

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

IT seems Rogerq that you are missing my point as to why your media builder might report the wrong version of TI.

Does it work?

Just a thought, in case you've got two versions of media builder on your system, the one you're looking at is in, C:\program files\common files\media builder ?

Colin

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  15. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

yes it works and yes, that is the directory I'm looking in. There is a different media builder in disk director 10. it says version 7 and is in a different directory than the media build app in TI.

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, now the version 7 of media builder (I also have, as I've got DD and PE) does correctly report my version of TI.

You didn't say whether build 3633 was your actual last version of TI or if you had upgraded to 3677.

As it works, I really think the problem is related to some crap left in registry for v9 than the fact that media builder is reporting itself as v9.xxx .

It would of course be helpful to both of us trying to sort this problem out, if someone could confirm from another v10 install the version # of media builder.

I suppose I could download the trial and see, but it'll be a pain to uninstall 9 on my laptop and muck about.

Colin

17. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Ok, I recently upgraded from ver 9 to 10 and did not uninstall 9 first. I just checked my file versions and have found that at the media builder screen like in your screenshot, I have 10.0.4871

Under the coomon files directory I have for the file version on MediaBuilder.exe = 9,3,0,68

Not sure what all this is about though. If you guys want I would have no problem uninstalling everything Acronis on this laptop and reloading 10 clean. Let me know if you would like me to do this and I will post the results for you.

18. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The OP was concerned that Media Builder is showing his v10 TI install as an old v9 one.

He then found that his version of Media Builder is showing that it is v9.3068 - the same as the one that was supplied with v9 - his feeling is this is the cause of the incorrect build being shown for TI in the select programs dialogue.

I believe this to be an upgrading irregularity and caused by some old v9 info being left in registry - which is where MBuilder would get its version information from.

You have provided the information that the media component would seem to be the correct one, and as it is reporting that you have v10 for media building, seems to me point more to the registry entry than Mbuilder being incorrect.

Thanks for clearing that point up.

Colin

19. shieber

The most current version of Mediabuilder.exe is version 9.3.0.68, that what comes with ATI version 10.

20. shieber

Ny guess is that the prob has to do with a bad install and not the mediabuilder.exe file.

I'd try the triple scrub.

sh

21. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Thanks, It does sound like it would be a registry value somewhere then. It would probably makes sense to do as others here have suggested and uninstall / cleanout the existing Acronis registry stuff and reload the program clean.

22. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

Well, support at Acronis finally got back to me and had me attempt a couple of things: They had me down load MS's windows install cleanup and run to remove any reference to previous versions of acronis that were installed(this effort found none).

I then received word that apparentley the TI 10 install had not removed the version nine media builder. Here is what I was told to do and it worked:

uninstall TI 10.0
    reinstall TI9
    Uninstall TI9
    Reinstall TI 10.0.

Just for the heck of it, I also ran the windows install clean up and regeditx to ensure that there was no reference to any TI product before I reinstalled TI 10.0

Worked and now the bootable media process shows the correct version of TI 10.0 installed.

thx guys.

roger

23. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just out of interest what build number is the new install of media builder? Just so we are on the ball if someone else has this problem

Colin

24. jllamas

jllamas Registered Member

So, the build of Media Builder in 10.0 is 10.0.4871.

I too was having problems creating a bootable CD...I finally uninstalled both 9 and the new version 10 and then reinstalled 10.0 clean.

Quick gotcha...in doing it this way I had to provide my serial numbers for both 9 and 10 in order to install; so before removing 9.0 make sure you have your serial numbers. Just to be clear on this, I purchased the upgrade and thus the need to "prove" that I owned an upgradeable copy of the software after I had removed it for the clean install of 10.0.

25. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

10.0.4871 is the build number of TI 10 itself, what build number under properties does media builder on its own show?

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.