Create backup of Truecrypt WDE drive

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I use whole disk encryption from Truecrypt. I have one OS (Win XP) i.e. no hidden OS etc. I'm wondering what the best strategy is for creating an image of my hard drive in case it fails. I'm using a laptop and the drive is about five years old. If it fails, I won't lose anything important, but it would be great if I had an image that I could easily restore on another drive. Not to mention just having the backup in case something gets messed up on this OS install.

It's not so important that the backup image be encrypted. I encrypt this laptop in case I lose it while traveling, so my backup images could be unencrypted and stored at home.

Is it possible to create an image on a Truecrypt encrypted disk? If so, when I restore the image, will it be encrypted and run as it does now?

As always, appreciate any inputs/guidance.
    Thanks!

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Just make an image from within the running OS, like with Acronis True Image... Dont' do it from a boot disk, do it from the running system and it will create a cleartext backup.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks Kookyman. Will give it a shot this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.