Create a PC for Social Networking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lanarkshireit, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanarkshireit

lanarkshireit Registered Member

Hi Guys

Here is an idea that I have been thinking about for some time.

I run my own IT Support business and see a lot machines from home users that are used solely for use on Social Networking sites and very little else.

Most of these people have never even looked in Programs list nevermind the control panel etc.

So I am starting my quest to create a PC that is used for this purpose with NO need for much else or much maintenance.

Ideally an OS that was just really a browser would be great but no such product exists or is likely to.

I am in my early stages here but I'm tempted with the Returnil Virtual Mode / Sandboxie route.

But I would like to hear other peoples thoughts / opinions on this.

Regards

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Any kind of virtual system, that allows a computer to retain a "static" state, is a good start. However, never let your users forget that safety with social networking is much more about the data they share. In my opinion, data shared on these websites should include nothing more than what you would want the stranger standing next to you on the sidewalk to know. For your close friends and family, there is such things in existence as phones, emails, and *gasp*!...face to face contact.

3. x942

x942 Guest

Chrome OS would be the best bet. Very secure and apps live in the cloud too:thumb: hexxeh's is one of the best builds right now

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Actually, beyond Chrome OS, their is xPUD.

You can easily add more packages to it - Skype, Dropbox, Oo_Org and some other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.