create a partition on a full hardisk

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mantra, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have a full hardisk, and i would like to create 1 partition
    my fear is , will i loose my data?

for example if i create a partition of 30 giga , and in this place there is a big files for 6 giga , what could been happen?
    will disk director split this file? and the result could be some data of this big file store in a partition and the residuary in the second partition?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

You have to have unallocated space to create a partition from.

If your disk is full, where will the unallocated space come from ?

If your disk is not full, then you must create unallocated space if none already exists. You would do this by decreasing the size of the existing partition.

When you decrease the size of the existing partition, any data occupying the space you are deallocating must be moved to another place on your existing partition. Any correctly functioning partition management software will perform this task without data loss.

As far as I am aware, you cannot create another partition on a disk which is already full.
    Obviously, in this example, the disk is not full -- there must be at least 30 GB total available space on this disk when totalling unallocated (unpartitioned) disk space and disk space available on your existing partition. How is this example applicable to your initial question in which you ask about creating a partition on a full disk ?

Please check that you are correctly distinguishing among allocated and unallocated space (which would be partitioned and unpartitioned space in this context) and total physical disk space so that your question can be answered without ambiguity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks crofttk
    i appreciated your answer many thanks!

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

È niente !;)

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.