"Create a new full backup after..." ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tcgass, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcgass

tcgass Registered Member

Hi everybody

I just started using TI 10.0 and wanted to set up my scheduled tasks. Unfortunately I can't find the backup policy option "Create a new full backup after..." which is described in the help file. How can I access it? I have version 10.0 (build 4871) installed, but this option *never* shows up during the procedure of setting up new tasks with the task wizzard. Any hints, or am I blind ;-)

Thanks for your support

Thomas

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Thomas,

Once you've set up your Backup Location with the limits you want, when you are setting up your scheduled task direct it to Backup Locations towards the top of your file tree. I think that's the step you are missing.

Attached Files:

3. blee

blee Registered Member

I also just upgraded to V10, primarily to take advantage of the new backup policy feature.

I have a questioning concerning the setting up of the backup location. When you establish the various size limits, are those limits inclusive of whatever backup files may already exist within that location? Is the software "intelligent" enough to differentiate between different machines that may write to the same location and only apply the backup policy for files written by that machine? In my case I use a common network share to store backups that are generated from several PC's in my home, and it would be great to have different backup policies for each PC without having to resort to using different locations for each. I suspect that won't be possible, though.

4. tcgass

tcgass Registered Member

Hi CatFan

That's it - thanks a lot for your help!
    Well, I just checked the help file and not the downloadable manual, so I should say to myself: "RTFM" :cool:

Cheers and merry christmas,

Thomas

5. CatFan432

Thomas,

If it's in TFM, I have yet to see it. Glad to help, CF

6. CatFan432

blee,
    The tests I’ve made on this indicate that each Backup Location does not differentiate on the source of the data coming into it. If you send data from Task A and Task B to the same location, my belief is that once the limits have been reached, if not before, they will intermingle. However, you can, for example, set up a folder with several subfolders, each subfolder being a Backup Location with its own limits, and point your different tasks to the appropriate place.

I want to add that I have reached these conclusions by setting up tests with small limits and small amounts of data, on a stand alone non-networked pretty basic system. I would encourage you to do some similar testing, since basically I’m only stating an opinion based on what I’ve seen on my system. I haven’t found any Acronis documentation to verify my opinion. If you see anything different, please let me know, and I'll stop giving bad advice.

CatFan

7. blee

blee Registered Member

Thanks CF. I supect you're assumptions are correct here, as TM Home is not really meant to be a multi-user based piece of software. It will be easy enough for me to setup different locations for each machine, so that's what I'll end up doing. I'm definitely looking forward to not having to go in and manually delete backup files periodically when my hard drive starts to get full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.