Create a boot disc ISO?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LSmith4285, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSmith4285

LSmith4285 Registered Member

Can I create a boot disc ISO?

I am thinking of buying and installing True Image on an old laptop I have.

It doesn't have a CD-R and I don't really want a collection of bootable floppys as they are generally not that trustworthy.

Just wondering if there is any method for me to create a .iso from true image which I can transfer to my pen drive and burn on the main PC.

Cheers
    Lyle

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

How will you get the boot ISO, if it is on the laptop drive, to run when needed? Seems to me that the laptop will boot normally, unless you have another program to let you do a multi boot. Even so will the ISO boot from an internal drive?

3. LSmith4285

I'll copy it to a pen drive and move it to my main PC where I can burn the ISO to a CD and then use this CD to boot.

4. Chutsman

Okay, I totally misunderstood. I thought you wanted to be able to run the equivalent of the boot CD, from the laptop - which doesn't have a CD device.

Why not just install True Image on the main PC (desktop?)?

5. LSmith4285

I want to take an image of the laptop. Won't I have to therefore create a boot disc on the laptop?

I thought that if I create a boot disc with the main PC it would only hold the drivers for the devices connected to the PC and not all the drivers for the laptop, am I right in thinking this?

Thanks

6. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Nope. It'll work fine. But you'll have to install True Image on the PC first, create the Boot Disk, uninstall and install on the laptop.

Or use the Secure Zone on the laptop. This is a special area that Windows can't touch for storing your images.

Give the trial version a go first.

7. Chutsman

Yes, the TI boot CD that is created on the desktop will work on another system, be it laptop or desktop. There are a couple of ways to go about your solving your situation depending on how old the laptop is.

Does it have a usb port?
    Can it boot from an external cd drive?

I have a feeling the answers will be NO to both. In that case the only other option I can think of is to remove the drive from the laptop and instal it in the desktop - there is an adapter (about $5 on eBay or other retailers) that will let you do this.

Once it is in the desktop you can run TI to create an image of it and save the image on your desktop drive. To restore the image you will again have to put the laptop drive in the desktop.

8. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

You Could E-Mail Support@acronis.com Requesting For A Link To Download A ISO File For Your Registered True Image.

9. LSmith4285

Right I have installed the trial on the Desktop and made a boot disc.

I then unistalled it and installed it on the laptop and created an image on the desktop over the network.

However when I boot the laptop with the TI CD in it won't recognise the network as its an external USB to ethernet network adaptor I use and I don't think TI has the drivers for this.

Is there anyway to add the adaptoprs drivers to the TI boot disc?

Cheers guys, you have been a lot of help so far.

10. Chutsman

Ah ... the laptop and desktop are networked! Makes life a lot easier.

If the TI boot CD doesn't recognize the network, just use TI from within Windows. The boot CD is really an emergency device for a single computer system - not that it cannot be used otherwise.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LSmith4285,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

Send us the output after each of the commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the net.txt file from the diskette and sysinfo.txt (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the detailed instructions) file to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.